advertisement

Where can music realistically go?

JTC I have a lot by Johnny Cash. I am sorry but I have heard Fair POint Convention and its just not me.

Its probably fair to say that I mainly like intrumental/electronica. I like a bit of singing once in a while but a fair proportion of what I own is voice free. For me FPC etc do not fill this space well.

I like the recommendations though and am happy to try them but I would hate for people to mis understand the point of my post and simply assume I listen to DSOTM every night.

I do get the jist of what you mean and have found myself drawn backwards in time for my 'new' music more and more these days.

The problem with the popular music scene at the moment (particularly with indie music) is that no-one seems to be doing it from the heart for the sake of the music. It seems more important that they look cool/make money/get to hang out with famous people.

I long for a group to come along like Ian Dury, Billy Bragg, The Smiths, The Pogues, New Order etc etc etc who seemed to live extraordinary/weird/messed up lives and make music about it with the fame thing coming almost by chance because talent shone through. They didn't sit down and think "now if I dress like this, pretend Kraftwerk we're an important part of my growing up, imply I've been in rehab in an NME interview and hang round the Met Bar people will think I'm really cool and buy my music". They just did it and it worked.

Jonathan

fox said:
listening exclusively to classical
The best suggestion in this thread so far. You know it makes sense :) . And if you've previously found instrumental music to your taste, then you're over what for many is one of the biggest obstacles-to-entry, ie. the fact that there often isn't an obvious single vocal line to follow.

I think that new music will come out of new technology, but lets face it probably everything has been done with electric guitar , bass and drums (although this is prob my genre).

You wait till my patented music making mind machine comes out.

spacejay said:
I think that new music will come out of new technology.

Hmm. I think new music tends to originate with musicians, and technology then finds a way to devalue it. Tubular Bells would be a lot easier today!

advertisement

Back