advertisement

Where can I buy this transformer in UK/EU? 2x150V 35mADC (doubler), 6.3V 3Arms

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
Hello,

a friend of mine is having issues sourcing a Transformer for a repair. It's a 2x150V 35mADC (doubler), 6.3V 3Arms. I know the obvious answer is to go back to Bottlehead, but if this can be sourced from UK/EU he'd be very, very grateful for the info.

Pictures of the offending item:

121706062_378802809925967_822323749591038528_n.jpg

121462399_3731928096858457_4093294740615024118_n.jpg

Thank you for any help you can give with information. This unit has come to him from a friend who has passed on, it's a bit distressing for him, and being a student (thankfully he's studying and managing still to work a bit at least) he's not made of money - but a thoroughly good egg nonetheless.

There are many companies that will make you one... for a price! But the twin separate 150V windings are a little unusual and there is no obvious off the shelf replacement I know of. 150 - 0 - 150 yes and 0 - 300 yes but 0 - 150 0 - 150 rather tricky. Do you have a schematic for the amp? If we can see exactly how it's used then there may well be " more than one way of skinning a cat" IF your friend can follow a schematic and wield a soldering iron...

OK had a google.. is it for a Crack headphone amp? If so it is used with the secondaries in parallel so you only need a 0 - 150V transformer and it's a little easier. Prob is that many such items have less than 3A heater current available.
The most suitable other than that which I found was 0 - 200V (not a huge problem) and about the right size and shape but only 1.5A heater output.
If you can make a toroidal fit then this is usable https://sklep.toroidy.pl/en_US/p/TSTA-0040001-Mains-transformer-for-tubes/633 0 - 235V and 6.3V 3A
Bigger dropper resistors and maybe higher voltage first smoothing cap needed but easy enough.

Is it really likely that this will have died of its own accord, or at all? Especially if spec'd correctly in the first place.

Is it really likely that this will have died of its own accord, or at all? Especially if spec'd correctly in the first place.

It's a kit so the builder could have made gawd knows what error in wiring it... Or it could be all correct and it just went... rare, but it does happen. Most often with a dead mains transformer the mains fuse blows on switch on but there can be other alternative symptoms.

It's a kit so the builder could have made gawd knows what error in wiring it... Or it could be all correct and it just went... rare, but it does happen. Most often with a dead mains transformer the mains fuse blows on switch on but there can be other alternative symptoms.

Sort of what I was getting at - a serious PITA if the trannie is either OK, or has been taken-out by some fault elsewhere, especially considering the circumstances of the owner and its acquisition.

It's possible there's nowt wrong with it... a dry joint on a connection to the heater supply could leave the valves unlit and no sound etc.
OP hasn't got back with any further info that could shine more light on things yet of course..

This is all useful info and comments - thank you. I think I shall ask the chap who's doing the fixing to get involved at this point :)

I know nowt, but I'd suspect a trannie failing, in the absence of lots of obvious damage, just about last in a case like this.

Are the valves OK? It/they won't heat-up if the heater(s) are open circuit - VERY easily checked.

Friend is on the way. Full disclosure - he's got a forum name that reflects his cable making enterprise, this is not a commercial repair on his part, and he's been a goodest boy and not touted surreptitiously for business on PFM.

advertisement

Back