advertisement

When will Hi-Fi mags admit some products are overpriced?

I always find it interesting to look at a few photos of the interior of components . It is amazing just how little there is inside some of those very expensive boxes.
Solid state amplifiers can be crazy prices for a transformer , heat-sinks and a nice box to house it in . I remember looking inside an Arcam DAC ( when these things were really new on the scene ) way back in 1990 :
a beer-mat sized board / three quid-tranny in a full width box . I wonder if quantity sold was ever a price reduction driver . Even when this HiFi stuff was popular in the nineties , it wasn't cheap then either ..........

Could it be that some things are vastly overpriced because some people are vastly overpaid?

Would some of the, no doubt excellent, vastly overpriced things cease to exist without some people being vastly overpaid?

I would love to know the figures. I don't doubt I have often paid 100% more for a 10% improvement in performance. That's fine.

What is not fine is the suspicion I have also on occasions paid several hundred quid for no improvement at all. Objectivity is difficult when it is frustrated by '500 hours burn in time' etcetera.

I bought one of those £8000 mains cables for our kettle. Our tea is so much more awesome. And my wife agrees.

Could it be that some things are vastly overpriced because some people are vastly overpaid?

Would some of the, no doubt excellent, vastly overpriced things cease to exist without some people being vastly overpaid?

I would love to know the figures. I don't doubt I have often paid 100% more for a 10% improvement in performance. That's fine.

What is not fine is the suspicion I have also on occasions paid several hundred quid for no improvement at all. Objectivity is difficult when it is frustrated by '500 hours burn in time' etcetera.

500 hours is an awful long time for you to have forgotten precisely how things were beforehand me thinks.......

One thing though I do think however outrageous (although I've not spent hours weeks and months trying out) that some cables do in fact make a difference, thin cable chunky cable and good solid interconnects soldered etc. but I have to draw the line and gawp at some of the prices £3.5k for an interconnect really? from a famous cottage industry leader no less I think someone somewhere is sat on a beach positively pissing themselves laughing at the fact that some people think a 1 metre cable can be worth that!

Of course I'm deluded surely?!

Ah! I see it's a settee. My enthusiasm remains undiminished.

Many years ago I passed my AR speakers on to my son. His lurcher, Jack, was so unimpressed, at the sound of the first voice, he promptly put a claw through one. You must have really good speakers for a greyhound.

Cheers

Ah! I see it's a settee. My enthusiasm remains undiminished.

Many years ago I passed my AR speakers on to my son. His lurcher, Jack, was so unimpressed, at the sound of the first voice, he promptly put a claw through one. You must have really good speakers for a greyhound.

Cheers
Those are Royd Sorcerors in the pic, they have since been replaced by Linn Katans. The only thing that makes him move off that Chesterfield is when I play the didgeridoo. Motorhead and even Joan Baez he will tolerate, but the didgeridoo freaks him right out.

advertisement

Back