advertisement

When should your Favourite Band have called it a Day?????

strummer

pfm Member
OK, the Pink Floyd thread raked up my Teenage Angst :eek:

Did your favourite band go beyond a point that turned you off them to a point that actually tainted your feelings for them forever? Was it so bad that you wanted to disown them & pretend you never liked them in the first place?

Well having been a teenager in the mid seventies when Spinal Tap actually happened, I have loads of pent up bile to spew :p

When should your favourite band have packed in & why? Here’s mine :

Pink Floyd : After Wish You Were Here
From being the most enigmatic band on earth to appearing on Top of the Pops with a kiddies sing-a-long. The moment Waters started thinking he was bigger than the rest they should have ended it.

Genesis : The day Gabriel left.
Imagine idolly chatting with the girl cutting your hair admitting to being a Genesis fan? “oh you mean (starts singing) IIIIIII CAN’T DANCE”

Yes : After (actually probably before) Close to the Edge & certainly before the fking Buggles took charge!
See Genesis & replace song with OWNER OF A LONELY HEART!

Deep Purple : When Gilmore went
I absolutely hated Coverdale’s warbling.

Led Zeppelin : After Physical Graffitti
What a great swansong that would have been. Presence was poo. Never heard anything after that.

Black Sabbath : After Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage was another big letdown. It’s incredible to imagine they even tried to exist without Ozzy.

Any more?

Pavement- after their debut lp/ or more precisely after Gary Young was dismissed. Everything post is merely slacker rubbish (S&E '91, the debut lp is slacker brilliance).

Sonic Youth- after Dirty. Re-gurgitated ideas/ were approaching middle-age anyway.

Dinosaur Jr- after the 1st 3 real Dino Jr lps. Post lps without Lou Barlow lacked purpose & each just aimed for those '2 MTV hits'.. urgh.

Sebadoh- after Bubble & Scrape. Lost one of 3 members & so the superb dynamic of 3 members switching instruments & songwriting duties awol- a 'normal' sound devoid of inginuity was the result.. upsetting.

Smiths- after Rank. Almost perfection in terms of output- if they just hadn't done Strangeways..

Fairport Convention - after Sandy Denny left
Rolling Stones - after Exile on Main Sreet
Fleetwod Mac - after Peter Green left
Beach Boys - after Pet Sounds
Dylan - after Blood on the Tracks
The New York Dolls - after their first album

AC/DC - after For Those

Rolling Stones - after Tattoo You. Steel Wheels was acceptable in the veteran class.

Foreigner - after 4

Barclay James Harvest - after their 1st album

same goes for Supertramp

Dire Straits - Alchemy Live, being tolerant, otherwise Communiqué

Pink Floyd : After Wish You Were Here
From being the most enigmatic band on earth to appearing on Top of the Pops with a kiddies sing-a-long. The moment Waters started thinking he was bigger than the rest they should have ended it.
WYWH & DSOTM are the only two Floyd albums I can listen to.

Genesis : The day Gabriel left.
Imagine idolly chatting with the girl cutting your hair admitting to being a Genesis fan? “oh you mean (starts singing) IIIIIII CAN’T DANCE”
The day before they sat down to write their first album.

Yes : After (actually probably before) Close to the Edge & certainly before the fking Buggles took charge!
See Genesis & replace song with OWNER OF A LONELY HEART!
I like Topographic Oceans and Relayer, so I'd say before Going for the Bum. However, that would've meant that I wouldn't have seen them on that tour (which was GREAT!).

Deep Purple : When Gilmore went
I absolutely hated Coverdale’s warbling.
That'll be Gillan! However, I really like Stormbringer. But man, they must've known the game was up when they took on Joe Lynn Turner!

Led Zeppelin : After Physical Graffitti
What a great swansong that would have been. Presence was poo. Never heard anything after that.
One album on - Presence; Achilles Last Stand is their last genuine anthem.

Black Sabbath : After Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage was another big letdown. It’s incredible to imagine they even tried to exist without Ozzy.
They know they'd lost their way with Sabotage. But I absolutely loved them with Dio, and saw them on the recent Heaven & Hell tour.

Uriah Heep when Bernie Shaw became vocalist.
After Magician's Birthday.

One or two more from me:

Rush: about 10 years ago.
Queen: after Sheer Heart Attack.

I agree with everything Strummer says - we must be a similar age, but I'd have wiped out Yes at Relayer.
Roxy Music when Eno left.
U2 after Under A Blood Red Sky
Queen at birth
Pearl Jam after Yield
T Rex after Tanx

On reflection, it seems that as far as any long term established artist is concerned, one of the only ones to remain interesting and relevant is David Bowie. Maybe rejecting the call of the stadium was something to do with it.

On reflection, it seems that as far as any long term established artist is concerned, one of the only ones to remain interesting and relevant is David Bowie. Maybe rejecting the call of the stadium was something to do with it.

Not sure about that - possibly another thread needed: Did any of the big player 60s-70s artists get through the 1980s with their credibility intact - or at least without some major misfires? Consider what happened in the 80s to the following:

Bowie, The Who, Clapton, Pink Floyd, Iggy, Genesis, Sabbath, AC/DC, Joni Mitchell, Santana, Zappa...

Some of these I like. Some I loathe. None of them did anything I want to know about after 1981 and before the 90s. Memories of pastel jackets with the sleeves rolled up (shudder).

advertisement

Back