advertisement

When in London...

I worked within 100m of the Louise for quite some time. Big, often packed full and overpriced but the interior was, and I hope still a wondrous site. Victorian salt glazed tiles, a million shades of brown and cream; a real Gin Palace atmosphere. Now tend to drink at The Lamb & Flag @ Lamb's Conduit Street when the urge takes me, better food and Young's bitter.

Princess Louise overpriced? But it's a Sammy's pub, they are dirt cheap here. One in Leeds has only just broken the £1.50 a pint barrier, I think they are up to about 1.60, maybe 1.70 now, robbing sods.

Great pub though.

I do believe I was in there with my wife about 6 months ago, on a Friday afternoon, just taking the edges off the week.

The Chandos just off Trafalger Square is another Sam Smiths pub, and one I tend to visit when I'm in the area.

Handy for the National Gallery too.

If in London surely you must try a Fullers pub and a Youngs pub first? Sam Smiths is nice but not London vernacular - I mean why not go to the nearest Wetherspoons if price is so crucial?

I would vote for the Lamb in Lambs Conduit Street as a must see.

You'd go to a Sammy's because you're a Yorkshireman of course, leave these London pubs to blokes wi' more money than sense!

Price of course is not so crucial but pubs like the PL are marvellous places in their own right. The fact that they sell ale £1 less than elsewhere, and beer from Yorkshire to boot is a bonus.

Other than that I do like a Fuller's when I'm in London. Youngs too, but both are bloody flat all the time.

London has some nice Sam Smith pubs.

Wilton's Music Hall is a boozer worth the trip. Cheap, good beers and looks like it's about to fall down.

Chaps

I was quite surprised when I saw this thread because I used the Louise for several years for lunch and evening snack when I worked in London.

Fortunately the prices didn't worry me, I was on expenses.

It was a nice pub and I enjoyed many hours in it.

Mick

The london stone on cannon street is a really cool gothic pub. The door to the toilets is actually a bookshelf and is always funny watching people try to find it whilst bursting.

advertisement

Back