advertisement

When does a country become "The"?

Yank

Bulbous Also Tapered
The Ukraine, The Sudan, The Gambia, why the definite articles? And haven't they mostly been dropped? Any others?

The Gambia is one of a small number of countries for which the definite article is commonly used in its English-language name and where the name is not either plural or descriptive (e.g. "the Philippines" or "the United Kingdom").[25] The article is also officially used by the country's government and by international bodies. The article was originally used because the region was named after "The Gambia [River]". In 1964, shortly prior to the country's independence, Prime Minister Dawda Jawara wrote to the Permanent Committee on Geographical Names for British Official Use requesting that the name The Gambia retain the definite article, in part to reduce confusion with Zambia which had also recently become independent.

The Lebanon. The Netherlands.
I believe it's Lebanon in current English usage and has been for some time.
'The Lebanon' presumably came from Arabic (al Lubnaan) and French (le Liban) usage, but it seems very old fashioned these days. Likewise: Sudan.
The Netherlands because it's a plural (see also the Philippines).

The Ukraine, The Sudan, The Gambia, why the definite articles? And haven't they mostly been dropped? Any others?
Ukraine has always been Ukraine hasn’t it?
I know my daughter in Law who is of Ukrainian extraction gets very cross when she hears “The Ukraine” used.

THE Ukraine is most certainly not "the".

It was added as a slur by a Czar, to belittle it. To understand precisely how, and what flows from that, you'd need to be pretty fluent in Russian.

Ukraine is Ukraine, no more, no less.

The Russians refer to Ukrainians, especailly the forces, as Hohols, definitely meant as a petty insult, but it refers to a hairstyle from way, way, way back in history in much the same way as mohecan can do, even though also a native American tribe. I'd be interested to know how current Ukrainians see it - if it were me, I'd wear it as a badge of honour.

(On a parallel track - Pakistan translates roughly as the land of the clean, even though it is actually an anagram of the constituent states.)

Funny how countries that are called "The Democratic Republic of.........." are usually not very democratic. E.g. DDR.

advertisement

Back