advertisement

When do Record Shops re-open?

wezzywest

pfm Member
As the title says, there isn`t much info on individual store websites. And i cant wait to get beck inside one.
Cheers.

I have just found out that Rough Trade is reopening its stores on the 12th. No good for me, but England must be the same as Wales. I`m suprised at the lack of information out there though.

I wish all our independent record shops well. Times have never been easy and I'd hate to see COVID removing more of them from the retail landscape. Some of them have offered huge price cuts online, presumably to keep cash flow moving. Yes we all buy stuff online and sometimes from the cheapest option. Nothing beats getting in there amongst the racks and browsing finding something that you never knew you needed. Come Monday don't leave it too long before you head to your local record store. Record shops are fundamentally essential to the development of music.

I’m so looking forward to second-hand bin-diving again. Got Pfizer jab #2 today, so I guess I need to let that settle for a week to ten days then I’m off to King Bee etc! Sadly it looks like we’ve lost one of the local second hand shops. Hopefully he’ll be back somewhere else fairly soon.

For new stuff I’ve pretty much got into the habit of Bandcamp, Rough Trade, Juno for limited editions etc.

I’m so looking forward to second-hand bin-diving again. Got Pfizer jab #2 today, so I guess I need to let that settle for a week to ten days then I’m off to King Bee etc! Sadly it looks like we’ve lost one of the local second hand shops. Hopefully he’ll be back somewhere else fairly soon.

For new stuff I’ve pretty much got into the habit of Bandcamp, Rough Trade, Juno for limited editions etc.
Which shop has gone?

Well done with getting Pfizer #2 as you're a couple of years younger than me. I hope to get my second Pfizer jab in a few weeks but only as I live in Westminster where the take up rate is circa 60% as opposed to the 95% plus national take up. Come Monday afternoon those charity shops ain't gonna know what hit them!!

The Sound Machine in Reading has indicated it is reopening on Monday at 09:30. I shall be popping in later in the week.

The one in Heywood, Vinyl Groove. Signage gone, shuttered, ‘to let’ sign etc. Hopefully he’ll crop up again somewhere else as I always did well there, remarkably so at times (both for myself and buying-in for pfm).
I've cycled past a few times recently and not noticed. I always thought they were a bit overpriced. Is the shop up the hill behind Rochdale Town Hall still there?

Looking forward to the Headway charity shop that I stock reopening.

I am half way through making a new sign for the shop window. The old sign got broken when some swine tried to break in and smashed the shop front windows. The old sign was a 12” pink vinyl copy of Pink Cadillac with ‘We Sell Records’ written on one side and ‘We Need Records’ on the B-side using a felt-tip and white correction fluid. I didn’t have a bright coloured 12” to ruin for a new sign, so have sprayed an RCA Red Seal opera album bright green. Not done the lettering yet. It will look fantastically amateur, just like the old sign did.

Last time the charity shop opened briefly we sold quite a few records, so we are hoping folks are still hungry for them.
I wish there was more space available in the shop for records, the manager is generous as it is, and the vinyl has to be near the till as ratbags steal the records given a chance.
At least the boxes of records aren’t on the floor.

advertisement

Back