advertisement

What's the worst system you are prepared to admit to ?

Sorta, it paid for the ATCs :D
I sold up and left the fold some 2 years before Hermann and a few customers got shafted and Mana went all Waco Texas.

I think the systems where I used my eyes more then my ears were the worst. Not in terms of sound quality but in terms of sheer hubris and arrogance

Individually all the parts are fine, Orbe is a nice TT, the Benz MO9 good, the Morch is good, the Audio Note pre is well regarded -- as is the Magnum Dynalab and the ECS monoblock protoypes -- all good quality stuff (not so sure the DVD on x-1[desire] layers of Mana was so clever but I was particularly non compos mentis) there -- but amassed together, there is something not quite right about my mindset when I look back on it. But if you just use your eyes well whats the figging point?

Something terribly terribly wrong about the me that got into that situation.

Ooooh! You had it bad, Fox!

Chris

Acorn Electron Tape Deck. It was probably designed for more beepy music such as early Warp material.

My first system (not counting a Dixons 'Saisho' ghettoblaster) was a Pioneer stack system. It said 'hello' when you turned it on! And you could use it as an alarm clock!

If that was a twin-tray CD one from 1991, I probably demoed it when I ended up with a Sony equivalent (with seperate, single CD which was woefully unreliable). It sounded pretty good actually, made good recordings, and the turntable on it was surprisingly good as well...

Worst bit of kit I've had apart from that unreliable CD player (Sony CDP-M12... ...sad that I can remember that!) was probably a Goodmans plastic midi turntable I bought as a stopgap, but it did the job.

What's so bad about Mordaunt-Short MS25is? They could be rough but the pair I had boogied like a bastard! The Rega Elas that replaced them killed them though...

I luckily didn't fall for the CD5i (hated it in demo) and got one of the last CD5s instead...

I had an Amstrad turntable with a funky looking triangular platter. It looked good but the vibration isolation was so bad, it acted as a rudimentary microphone. On old cassettes recorded from it, you can hear people talking!

I think the systems where I used my eyes more then my ears were the worst. Not in terms of sound quality but in terms of sheer hubris and arrogance

Individually all the parts are fine, Orbe is a nice TT, the Benz MO9 good, the Morch is good, the Audio Note pre is well regarded -- as is the Magnum Dynalab and the ECS monoblock protoypes -- all good quality stuff (not so sure the DVD on x-1[desire] layers of Mana was so clever but I was particularly non compos mentis) there -- but amassed together, there is something not quite right about my mindset when I look back on it. But if you just use your eyes well whats the figging point?

Something terribly terribly wrong about the me that got into that situation.

You stopped buying Mana, they went out of business, it makes sense now.

advertisement

Back