advertisement

What's the Most You've Paid for a Vinyl Record?

Loads of records at >£100 but my single biggest purchase is the Classic Records Led Zeppelin 45rpm box set, at the time I think I paid about £1,900. As a collector I find I have cleaned up most of my wants now which just leaves a few expensive mainly 90's albums I am still patiently waiting to snag for the right price & condition.

Recently Little People, Mickey Mouse Operation for £40 - fabulous album.
Currently contemplating Damien Rice O limited 1000 release cloth bound sleeve double LP but they’re all around £200...

Good news is I’ve realised I have several big £ records in my stash such as 3 x ocean colour scene, 2 x Paul weller, some rare trip hop (Tricky, Nearly God), Radiohead Kid A 10”...

Glad I kept buying vinyl in the 90s/00s

I just received a nice package from Music Matters. Horace Silver "Song for my Father", Wayne Shorter "Adams Apple", and Joe Henderson "Inner Urge" all on their new SRX vinyl. Three beautiful pressings for $300 Canadian.
The SRX vinyl is quite interesting, in that it's translucent, and sounds very, very good.

Brian

Hunting down original '60s British Jazz vinyl could be ruinous: I paid £165 for a copy of the New Jazz Orchestra's "Le Dejeuner Sur L'herbe" (part of Miles Kingston's auction sale), and that was still a bargain based on current values (some albums were pressed in batches of 1,000 only and now fetch well into 4 figures). Original BN releases up to £100 are fair game if I can get them, and some of these make good future investments. More to the point, just about all of the original pressings I've bought sound better that re-pressed versions: this is the main reason for me going after them.

I think it shows that a lot of these folks are buying expensive original pressings not so much for the sound but as collectors items. A bit like buying first edition books.

I understand the appeal - I love nice old DG pressings with pasteback sleeves. Sadly my budget runs more to vintage Penguin paperbacks than first edition Hemingways :-D
The shop I bought the A Love Supreme from in Japan is classic. No advertising outside, up two flights of steps and it's a Jazz shop, but more like a personal collection. In fact most if not all the records he purchased in the US over many years. The ALS he bought new when he was a young man studying in the US. When I went in he was alone, playing Blue Train on his non-audiophile hi-fi, but still good. His playing copy was the original version (without the reg trade mark) - he said a $1000 record, but possibly more ! I also got the impression he didn't have so many Japanese customers.

I think for me it's a bit of both, but for sure motivated by sound. One reason especially in the collection of Impulse records from the 60s is that a fair number of masters were discarded when the record company moved from NYC to California. If you have current versions on CD or vinyl, then hear a first pressing of 60s Impulses, the difference is quite staggering sometimes.

£80 for the 3 x 45rpm Anniversary reissue of Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat.

Worth it for Ballad of the Runaway Horse alone

I paid US$90 for a mint copy of Michael Pilz's Carpathes. It sounds amazing, unusually for FMP, but I probably overpaid. I did also pay US$40 for volume 3 of Sam Rivers' The Tuba Trio, on the Circle label, but that was offset by finding the person who was the US distributor for Circle, and buying a large quantity of NOS free jazz LPs from him at a decent price, including all of the other Tuba Trio releases (which included the two other LPs on which fragments appeared). Still some of the best free jazz ever recorded, IMHO.

No, but that doesn’t bother me in the slightest. In many ways I’d argue the original uncorrected version is right, no one noticed or cared and it went on to be the biggest selling jazz album even if one side is very slightly flat or sharp (I can’t even remember which way it is wrong!).

PS I think my favourite CD version is an early 80s Japanese 32dp, and that isn’t speed corrected either (the even earlier 35dp is allegedly even better, but I haven’t got one)!
Is the Classic 2 x LP version valuable. I do have it, paid about £45 for it new

I've paid > £100 for a few single LPs including a 1st pressing of Counting Crows's debut before it was reissued and a 1st pressing of Cast's debut again before it was reissued.

Wow, I used to get the piss taken out of me for still buying vinyl in the 90s

I didn’t buy a huge amount of vinyl in the ‘90s, but most of what I did has gone through the roof. A lot being audiophile cuts from Classic Records, DCC, Alto. Must have well more than a foot of them anyway.

PS Michael Fremer is clearly sitting on an absolute gold mine. The way he handles covers makes me physically cringe, so a lot are maybe not in the best condition, but he has a lot of truly amazing stuff. He must have just about every fancy audiophile pressing as they’ll just land on his doormat under their own volition!

I didn’t buy a huge amount of vinyl in the ‘90s, but most of what I did has gone through the roof. A lot being audiophile cuts from Classic Records, DCC, Alto. Must have well more than a foot of them anyway.

PS Michael Fremer is clearly sitting on an absolute gold mine. The way he handles covers makes me physically cringe, so a lot are maybe not in the best condition, but he has a lot of truly amazing stuff. He must have just about every fancy audiophile pressing as they’ll just land on his doormat under their own volition!
Yes, the hi-fi press get a lot of product. Audiophile LPs from the 80s go for big money if by established artists. I was very late into CD, I think it was probably late 90s early 00s. Just goes to prove the buy what you like adage.

advertisement

Back