advertisement

What's the least you could live with, forever?

tbh if I had to start over I could live with a decent micro system like the little Denon ones with a decent set of small speakers and streaming capability, Whilst not the tope end would still let me enjoy music and not be an issue for swmbo

Are we talking about hifi or music by any means, there's also a big difference.
Are we talking about minimal or cheapest, there's a big difference?!

Post 1 and 46?

I didn't want to be too dictatorial. We are all different after all, but MY idea was basically to imagine how little one could spend, and how few gadgets/clutter one could be without and still retain the means to play your required sources at least cost.
The result must make you smile.

Interesting broad spectrum of ‘least’ here with some people having a ‘least’ amp which costs £3,000 for example!

Personally, my ‘least’ system would be a selection of separates from eBay for about £3-400 in total.

I used to have a thoroughly enjoyable 2nd system of a marantz CD player and Harman Kardon amp with B&W speakers. I’m sure i could assemble something similar for not much at all.

The cheapest systems I've been happy with over long periods are Linn Sneaky DS (£500) and Katans (£300) for streaming and Rega P2 (£250), Creek 4140 (£80) and Linn Tukans (£150) for spinning vinyl.

I could live with a 10 quid old Radio if I had to but not sure that's really what the OP is asking for.
+1 for the little Creek, impossible to beat for the price.

From my past I'd go back to my AR Legend TT with a P77 cart (I guess an AT95E would be today's equivalent), Ion Obelisk 2 and Heybrook Point 5s. To keep up with the times I might add a streamer - a Teufel Connector I had was perfectly fine. That would be it.

Nait 1, Fiio Dac, Chromecast Audio, Rogers LS7T. With a bit of space around the Rogers it is better than my main system in some aspects and very listenable.

Possibly the current RP3>Fono>Atom>Cheviots combo, which still has scope to change/improve if wanted without increasing the box count, although RP3>fono>Beosound2 was pretty good...

I could probably live with my kitchen system, some old Rega Kytes on a brick wall driven by a small, cheap, cheerful, but surprisingly capable when given a decent power supply, Chinese chip amp with onboard USB DAC and BlueTooth. It terms of both space and cost it is probably the least of my home set-ups, though I think Kytes might have started appreciating since I bought those!

It's an interesting question, but you have to differentiate between having music as a background and actually listening to it. I often play music on my computer or laptop, but for sitting in front of the loudspeakers and actually getting into it is a different matter. There would have to be a record player in there tbh, but then we're back to the clutter of hundreds of LPs! Else something like the little Auralic Aries mini and some active loudspeakers.

The Ruark MR1s attached to our tv do a decent job of frequently making me wonder why I bother with the rest of the kit in the house!

Those or the Revo radio in the kitchen

It's an interesting question, but you have to differentiate between having music as a background and actually listening to it. I often play music on my computer or laptop, but for sitting in front of the loudspeakers and actually getting into it is a different matter. There would have to be a record player in there tbh, but then we're back to the clutter of hundreds of LPs! Else something like the little Auralic Aries mini and some active loudspeakers.
Actually listening IMO.

... MY idea was basically to imagine how little one could spend, and how few gadgets/clutter one could be without and still retain the means to play your required sources at least cost.
The result must make you smile.
Then it must be hifi for me. My answer remains:

Digital - Node 2i
Vinyl - MY LP12 (or Technics 1200 if starting anew)
Amp - Nait2
Loudspeakers - NS1000M

That should be an easy downgrade, as I already have the above.

I've spent the last decade obsessing about my hifi. It's only last December that I finally managed to put together my dream system. I've reached journey's end. I've stopped listening to the hifi. Now I just listen to my music.

Although I've had some superb systems along the way all of which I've enjoyed immensely, it is inconceivable to me to contemplate going backwards even one tiny step. What I have now is the very least I could live with. And, to my ears, it sounds magnificent.

advertisement

Back