advertisement

Whatever happened at Arcam?

thanks so much for the write up Shugg , fascinating stuff . Just looking back to my comments in post 90 . The arcam a85 worked very well with the impulse Taus as a power amp for some months . in fact FAR better than you would think . And having nothing better i am still using an arcam a85 as a power amp with a bc pre 5. it still sounds good . that combo is most certainly equal to an integrated amp costing 5k in sonics . nice texture and `romantic ` sound with good detail . Having not found any better and affordable class AB it remains . in fact wouldnt mind trying a a38 as a power amp. for some reason later arcam amps like a39 cant be used as power amps i think

I am a late arrival to this thread which is interesting but, I think, somewhat unfair.

I think it would be fair to say that Arcam is not a hi-end brand, but a mid-market brand, at least until fairly recently in hits history. The most expensive stereo components they produced in the mid-2000s (probably their peak success period) were the C31 pre (£1,200 retail), and the P1 monoblock (£1,100 retail each). That put their top-flight amp at £3,400 retail which, whilst serious money for most people, especially in the mid-2000s, doesn't get anywhere near where you can go with Naim, Krell etc.

I would say in the early-to-mid 2000s, stereo component quality was very good. the Alpha, DiVA, and FMJ lines included some very nice kit. The CD23 and CD92 players, with their licensed dCS ring DAC, are still very nice sounding players today if you can get hold of them. The A85 was a very highly regarded stereo amp at the time, and is still highly regarded now.

A/V was initially supplementary to the stereo kit. There was a single A/V receiver on sale - the AVR100, AVR200, then AVR300 etc. The stereo kit was also designed to accept multichannel cards/additions to the chassis. The FMJ A22 could accept a full AV processor card add-on, with digital inputs, DACs, switching etc. This was scaled back for the A32, A85, and A90, which could accept a multichannel input card but no DACs or digital processing.

A great experiment was undertaken in the early 2000s where very significant R&D was poured into a multichannel processor and power-amplifier, which became the AV8 and P7. From today's vantage point, many of the engineering challenges of home cinema have been solved (although manufacturers have created entirely new ones to justify new products), so it is easy to forget how bad home cinema kit was in the early-2000s.

The AV8 'solved', for the first time (partial exception of the Tag McLaren AV32R) many of the problems of decent multichannel pre-amps, including a beautifully designed DAC stage with a crystal PLL, a SMPS where the switching frequency was synced to the sampling frequency of any incoming digital signals (to eliminate audible switching noise, novel then but commonly used now by Lyngdorf etc), broadcast-quality video switching and processing and, finally, a multichannel pre that could turn its hand to stereo duties successfully and not sound unlistenable.

The P7 was also a very impressive achievement. It adapted the power-amp stage of the very successful A85 stereo amp, managed to fit seven individual amp units into a large (albeit fairly good looking) chassis, and connected these to a beautifully designed PSU. In the early 2000s, multichannel power amps almost invariably could not sustain significant power output into five or seven channels. The P7, like the AV8 for pre-amps, successfully 'solved' this engineering challenge and was able to sustain very high power outputs into seven channels simultaneously.

These two bits of kit were enormously successful. The AV8, I think, retailed at £3,300, making it by far the most expensive component Arcam had produced at that point. It underwent a mild update, I think in 2006, to become the AV9, which added HDMI switching and some circuit adjustments. The AV9 was also very successful, and retailed at £3,600. It is telling that, despite the high entry price, the AV8 and AV9 still very frequently appear on eBay, which gives some indication of just how many of these sold and are still in circulation.

The problems came when Arcam tried to repeat the success of the AV8/9. Again, very significant sums of R&D were poured into developing three successor products, the AVR500 and AVR600 (both AV receivers), and the AV888 (an AV pre/pro).

I think it is fair to say, all three products were a disaster. There are very widely documented problems. There seemed to be two main problems. The first was that the AVR600 was Arcam's first venture into class G power amplification, but it created very significant heat-management challenges, which were not successfully overcome at the design stage and resulted in very high rates of product failure. The second was, the A/V market had become infinitely more complex since the AV9, and people expected things like an on-screen display (via HDMI) that could overlay upon the source picture, automatic setup routines, room equalisation, internet radio, network media players, plus great sound quality. I think the complexity just became a bit too much for Arcam which, at that time, was a mid-sized company that did not have the know-how of the major Japanese brands with whom they were competing (particularly Denon and Marantz who produced feature-heavy kit).

There were some positives - the AVR600 and AV888 both 'solved' a very significant engineering challenge, of avoiding jitter in audio signals transmitted over HDMI, and the basic sound quality (when they worked) was outstanding. However, the HDMI switching did not work properly, both models were prone to unexplained freezing and shut-down, and there was no video pass-through and they corrupted video signals, some of which became unwatchable.

This, sadly, came at almost the same time as the 2008 financial crash, which killed aggregate demand for home cinema in particular, many of the purchases being funded by credit.

From there, a series of poor decisions followed. There was an attempt to offshore the production of most equipment to China. However, if you don't know what you're doing, you can very easily get burned by attempting this, as Quad found when production shifted there after their acquisition. The kit that came back was simply not saleable and, at tremendous expense, the production had to be on-shored again to the UK. This was a very expensive mistake.

So by this stage you had a company facing a shrinking sector during a steep recession, that seemingly tried to compensate by cutting production costs, but where this attempt created far more problems than it solved.

Some strange and desperate attempts were made to shore up the bottom line, almost all of which were a failure. I remember at one point they released a strange, add-on battery/DAC pack to stick on an iPhone, supposedly to improve the sound, which was not a success. Some speakers and 'lifestyle' products were introduced, particular a Solo line, the early models of which had very high failure rates. Some blu-ray players were released under the Arcam heading, but where design had seemingly been entirely outsourced and they were some of the very worst products on the market and were outperformed by a Playstation games console.

I think the rest has been covered in the thread already. A series of acquisitions has now left them part of Harman group. The product line has dwindled somewhat and seems very much focused now on lifestyle and home cinema products.

John Dawson, as I understand it, was effectively forced out of the company he had founded, understandably given the series of errors in the late 2000s which must have threatened the viability of the company.

I think it is now led by Charles Brennan, who has some hinterland in lifestyle products, although I'm not sure how successful these were.

I can't say I'm tempted by any of the new kit, but there are some excellent options on the used market. I have seen AV8s go for £100, which is simply insane given the value of the engineering inside. The A32/38 are both excellent stereo amps, and the C31 is a very transparent pre and very easy to use.

I am a bit saddened by this story. What was once a great British success, founded by two Cambridge graduates in the 70s, is now just another subdivision of a multinational with little that is recognisably British about it.

I should add, for many years, Paul Miller, Editor of HiFi News, and President of EISA, used the AV8/P7 as his reference amps in his personal system. He eventually shifted to an AV9 and six P1 monoblocks. I would say it is one of the highest compliments a manufacturer can be paid that somebody of Paul's achievements relies on their kit as a reference, and speaks to the quality of Arcam products in the mid-2000s.
A spot on write-up. Thanks for that.

I still use my arcam alpha 9 cd player. Plays HDCD’s and sits well in my 2nd system.
The Daughter uses my old Alpha 7se cd player in her system.

One of the worst amps I've had the misfortune to hook up was an Alpha 7. Utterly unlistenable

This is a view I just don't recognise. One of my early systems had a Arcam Alpha 7 amp and Alpha 7 CD player with KEF Q35 speakers. It sounded wonderful. I often think if times got hard I'd happily sell my system, buy the Arcam/KEF system back for peanuts* and live quite happily.

*checked Ebay and I could purchase the entire set up Buy It Now for under £200

A lot of the used Arcam kit is worth getting hold of, especially if you are starting out with separates.

The problem is Arcam have washed their hands of servicing a lot of models. Some of the component parts are extremely difficult to find replacements for.

I run an AV9 and, a few years ago, a power surge killed the PSU circuit for the HDMI switching board. Arcam wanted a fortune to fix it. I managed to find a circuit manufacturer in Texas that built a compatible board (turns out they are used in medical technology) and ordered one for, I think, £40. The AV9 now runs 'good as new'.

I am generally in favour of keeping kit running as long as possible and am very keen to avoid buying anything where the shelf-life of the equipment is in years, rather than decades.

I can see the great appeal of Naim and Rega, who stand behind just about everything they've ever made. It is a shame Arcam do not do that, but the Harman business model is about pushing new products every few years which is undermined by repairing old ones.

I do have a bit of a sentimental attachment to the brand. The CD192 and A32 were the first 'proper' separates I heard and I was blown away by how involving they could make an orchestral piece sound.

I have also explained, on another forum, that I grew up in abject poverty but was already loosely getting into hifi by the age of about 14.

In May 2003, when I will have been 16, I read a review in What HiFi of the AV8/P7 combo and my jaw dropped at the £5,500 retail price, which was an absolutely colossal sum to me at the time (I was paid £3.33 an hour). I simply wrote off the possibility of ever being able to afford such kit.

In the intervening 20 years, I have had several personal and career successes, far beyond what I would ever have imagined possible at age 16. Within reason, I can pretty much afford any kit I would like. As soon as I had enough money, I got hold of an AV9 and P7 combo, by that point long since out of production, and they sit in my equipment rack now.

I have had dozens of amps come through the system over the years, Sugden A21a, Arcam A32 and A85, Rega Brio, Elex-R, Elicit-R, Rega Aethos, Townshend Allegri, to name but a few.

Some of them definitely did sound better than my AV9/P7 combo. The Elicit-R, in particular, was very involving.

However, the AV9 handles all my video switching, has a very nice DAC that can cater for seven different digital inputs, can drive my surround system, has an excellent phono stage, and a very transparent analogue bypass. In operation, it is no more complex than a stereo amp to use. The CR80 remote control, probably the best I have owned, controls my entire system - TV included - and even my wife knows how to use it.

I have found it extremely difficult to give up the balance of performance and convenience it offers.

On the surround side, I have had better kit pass through - the Anthem D2V was probably the best processor I have ever heard, and I owned it for several months, but it was an absolute pig to use, which meant my wife was effectively 'locked-out' of the system, so off it went.

Arcam produced excellent and affordable kit back at the time of the Delta range.
I still have the stack, with Arcam One speakers, and unlike what was produced after that, and all the AV nonsense, it is easy to maintain and will last forever.

Arcam produced excellent and affordable kit back at the time of the Delta range.
I still have the stack, with Arcam One speakers, and unlike what was produced after that, and all the AV nonsense, it is easy to maintain and will last forever.
I had a complete Delta stack (bar the cassette deck!) as my first system too. Fond memories. Always fancied but never did get a 110/120.2 as well.

I knew several people (including two single women) who had great systems featuring Arcam about 30 years ago. One of my strongest hifi memories was at Paul Green Hifi in Bath around 1981 or 2 listening to the new Linn Kans (plus LP2/Ittok/Asak) driven by the C200/SA200 pre/power - sounded fantastic!

R.8363d1c5229557de83f799096d8ccf08

From getting into hifi and being introduced to brands other than the Panasonic, pioneer and Sony I saw Arcam as a high quality hifi producer. I’ve had several amps, cd players and dvd players too, all have been very good quality and great sounding gear. I would still recommend it as a brand to try out.

The British hi-fi companies could never be bothered (or able?) to make kit with brushed aluminium fascias and shiny knobs, which cost them a lot of sales.
So most Brit-fi looked poor or worse, cheap.
They still used rubber bands and cheap Airpax motors when everyone else was using much better direct drive motors.
On the other hand, Japanese hi-fi looked great, and was great value too. It was overlooked mostly in the UK, in favour of ridiculous shoeboxes.
But understand that in the rest of the world, the situation was very different.
That said, let’s face it, I truly love British classic hi-fi :)

If either of my kids expressed an interest then s/h Arcam would be in there somewhere. Fortunately they are more sensible

An acquaintance of mine has the C49 & P49, very nice kit.

Cheers BB

I have been tempted by the C49, but the P49, and the Class G topology in general, seems like an engineering solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I try and choose kit now on the basis that it will last for decades, not years. Complexity is the enemy of longevity.

advertisement

Back