advertisement

What wood has the best properties ?

I’d be looking at Valcromat for both speakers and plinths, it’s incredibly dense and can be worked like MDF and finished really beautifully.

others might have more experience of it, but the weight and density impressed me!

Not as fun as the other definitions. I'm surprised it's equations still, i'd have thought FEA would give better results, and certainly allow for iterative optimisation of a design, but hey, i'm a software guy, and every problem looks like a computing problem to me!

The problem is that viscoelastic materials change their properties strongly with frequency. This means that the conventional FEA approach of obtaining frequency response functions via modal analysis isn't applicable because the modes are different at each frequency. Predicting the response at a single frequency is straightforward but for a realistic geometry like a speaker cabinet this would require far too much computer time to calculate at many frequencies in order to assemble frequency response functions. One needs to get fancy and approximate a bit for lightly damped structures in order to bring the required computer resource down to something practical for realistic problems. Very few FEA packages implement something suitable and so in the real world engineers tend to use less direct approaches extrapolating results from simpler geometries like beams.

I’d be looking at Valcromat for both speakers and plinths, it’s incredibly dense and can be worked like MDF and finished really beautifully.

others might have more experience of it, but the weight and density impressed me!

That's what my stand uses for one of the layers in the shelves. Valchromat, cork & birch ply shelving in a Walnut frame.

advertisement

Back