advertisement

What Was Your Most Expensive Hi-Fi Purchase?

maxflinn

pfm Member
Mine was €700 for a pair of Dynaudio speakers.

What was yours?

(Surely this won't turn into an argument :)

Are you willing to take a bet? Why would anyone pay that much for ... a cable .... or ... a DAC ... since they all sound the same?

I would say that my first purchase of hifi gear was the most expensive as it set off a neverending chain of purchases to reach my personal Audio Nirvanah/Heaven/Valhalla. It's like the quest for the Holy Grail.

Best,
Peter

Mana, by far the most expensive. Made me lose contact with some friends but I made some good folk also, on the way. But losing touch with People, you grew up with is a big price to pay. Too high.

Is this a trap? I only ask because similar enquiries from my Mrs usually are.

Are you willing to take a bet? Why would anyone pay that much for ... a cable .... or ... a DAC ... since they all sound the same?

Best,
Peter
I imagine there might be quite a few people who's most expensive purchase was a DAC. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, however a cable? One might need a rethink :).

I can remember walking into a Naim demo at Heathrow, and they were showing multiple NAP500s and DBLs etc. I suddenly had this vision of where my Naim habit was heading.

Frightening

The single most expensive item of Naim I ever bought was a NAP500 and it was over £10K

A few years later i swapped it all out for ATC gear and stuck over ten grand in cash back in the bank.

my 4200's at £4800 each *eek*, you could count my speakers but I exchanged kit for them so that does not count, I guess. :)

This room is too dark for me. Linn Akiva over two grand and it wears out! A deeply shameful waste of money.

I was thinking about something similar the other day and worked out (roughly) that in the last 3 years I've spent around £18,000 on kit and lost about £5,000 selling it on.

Most expensive is probably the RP6 at £800 or PMC DB1 gold at £850 which were my only new purchases. Everything else was secondhand with probably the DB1's creating the biggest loss (50%) when selling them after two months :(

Speakers, with amp not too far behind.

When I told my wife how much the speakers were going to cost, we had what she now refers to as 'the conversation'.

The price ratio (RRP) of my current system is:
NAS drive: 1
Cables: 1
Integrated amp/DAC: 21
Speakers: 33
I may have overspent on cables.

Linn Genki CD player, £1,000. Wasn't noticeably better than the Rega Planet it replaced. The first - and last - time I bought hifi without auditioning it first.

New LVii some 27 years ago. Reckon I've had my money's worth. No, hang on, some s/h Kabers. Half list but still near a grand iirc. I kept them for at least 15 years, so again...

20-30 years ago I had no difficulty dropping big chunks of my income on gear. 4 kids to educate and a career change made that impossible and bizarrely I have a much better system as a result thanks to modest DIY and PFM people's advice, plus buying old.

Best kit currently is a 2002 Yamaha C3 - that really does do piano tone!:)

relative to my income, maybe a connoisseur bd1 and an sme3009 and a shure m75e when I was a student, or perhaps a chassis only lp12 a couple of years later.. in absolute terms, many years later when I was earning, my ATC SCM100 ASLs .. but I've spent more on music than Hifi. it's good stuff.

advertisement

Back