advertisement

What was the last piece of hifi you sold ?

I rarely sell anything, I have some small Rega speakers in the spare room, along with a Naim 5i series amp and CD player. The latter were part of my first proper hi fi system I put together years ago. I did part exchange a Gyro for my current SME 20/2 turntable with a chap in Glasgow and sold outright a Whest Audio PS30r many years back. That's about it. Other amps and speakers became my second system that is nowadays connected to my projector. May be I became content with my system early on in my journey, certainly I knew I couldn't afford to spend the £1000s needed for a significant upgrade.....

I am on this forum since nearly 20 years, currently based in Germany, and have sold and bought equipment for my setups multiple times. This was back in 2010 and earlier. Turnover then was high, stuff was sold in mostly a couple of weeks. I am observing current sale dynamics and are surprised how difficult it has become to shift very prestigious pieces of kit at excellent prices. Germany always has been a more difficult market on used HIFI, in the UK people bought and sold much more easily and impulsively, so was my impression. Since when has the market turned like that? Brexit? I would appreciate an exchange of opinion on this matter.

Continuing my perpetual box swapping.
Just sold my Bryston 2.5B cubed power amp, may list my MBL pre too.
Trying a mighty integrated .
I'll mention it on the sister thread to this......

Some sort of DAC that I bought from a PFM member to see if it improved my CD player.

It sounded different but I'm not sure it sounded better. After a few months having the extra box sitting there started to annoy me. Plus it had a super bright blue LED and no off switch *sigh*. Bloke who bought it on Ebay was chuffed so happy days.

I am on this forum since nearly 20 years, currently based in Germany, and have sold and bought equipment for my setups multiple times. This was back in 2010 and earlier. Turnover then was high, stuff was sold in mostly a couple of weeks. I am observing current sale dynamics and are surprised how difficult it has become to shift very prestigious pieces of kit at excellent prices. Germany always has been a more difficult market on used HIFI, in the UK people bought and sold much more easily and impulsively, so was my impression. Since when has the market turned like that? Brexit? I would appreciate an exchange of opinion on this matter.
I think this is down to the 'Cost of living crisis' .
Those who may have been in the market for secondhand equipment have less disposable income due to the cost of living and everyday items getting much more expensive.

I think this is down to the 'Cost of living crisis' .
Those who may have been in the market for secondhand equipment have less disposable income due to the cost of living and everyday items getting much more expensive.
I suppose so, it is called deflation (of HIFI equipment prices). There are nice used items listed on the classifieds forum by knowledgeable people that surely have looked after the equipment very well, but if I'm held back if it is impossible to sell my existing stuff or if I cannot shift that piece of kit in the case I do not find it suitable. I would be also prepared and find it correct, to pay a decent price, but not if I get stuck with it later. I have a Roksan Artaxerxes in top conditions for sale on here and a meticulously kept and serviced 250.2 on a German/Austria/Swiss forum for 1600 Euros negotiable. Not a single email, not one sign of interest by a potential buyer. Not a problem, I will keep my stuff, improve it perhaps with Avondale parts etc. The experimenting with another piece of equipment that I find fun to do, e.g. trying a tube amp or tube phono stage or a passive amp, has just become too risky at this stage. For instance there is a dual mono amp for sale in the DIY section with NCC300 Avondale boards for 1200 Euros, not GBP, on sale for a year. A 250.2 for £950, nobody is interested in. How are manufacturers able to sell anything new nowadays? A new 250 retails above 7k Euros.

Last edited:
How are manufacturers able to sell anything new nowadays? A new 250 retail at above 7k Euros.

Because the people that have the money want new equipment?
Or perhaps it's easier to trade in older equipment for new rather than sell privately and then purchase new equipment?
Also the use of credit cards and finance deals means that new piece is only a swipe away?

It could be any or all of the above but I think it's just a sign of the times, people with less money have less than before and cannot afford to purchase luxury items even when secondhand whilst the wealthiest get wealthier and can afford to buy new.

Because the people that have the money want new equipment?
Or perhaps it's easier to trade in older equipment for new rather than sell privately and then purchase new equipment?
Also the use of credit cards and finance deals means that new piece is only a swipe away?

It could be any or all of the above but I think it's just a sign of the times, people with less money have less than before and cannot afford to purchase luxury items even when secondhand whilst the wealthiest get wealthier and can afford to buy new.
Price developments are indeed following textbooks on stagflationary developments. What is necessary, inflates, what isn't (HIFI), deflates. Servicing my 14-year old Ford Mondeo, just oil and front brakes plus 2-yearly motor vehicle test fees costs me nearly as much as a NAP 250.2
fetches on the s/h market. Well, we will go back to doing things more by ourselves, DIY type of work, more rewarding in the end, more repair, less waste.

advertisement

Back