advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

A b&k xls300 sub and some svs feet to go with it. Experimenting with placement and settings but so far pretty pleased with it. It's added some body to the music.

Amazing what a decent sub brings to the party.
Love your orange Suggy too.

Reactions: Gza
Breaking these shiny ones in:

2GcsmgE.jpeg

Q24Pof9.jpeg

What are they?, they’re so close to the side wall the reflections will sound awful. Can you not sit them on the unit with isolation feet?

Looking great. Is that very close to the side and rear wall position temporarily or?

What are they?, they’re so close to the side wall the reflections will sound awful. Can you not sit them on the unit with isolation feet?

Monitor Audio Platinum 100 3G. Hefty buggers (15kg a pop!) build quality is top drawer.

That was the position for the little Neats I have. I've just plonked them down for breaking in.

15cm sidewalls, 30cm from front wall. Front wall I have up to 70cm to play with. I shall tinker with positioning after they've broken in.

Sidewalls, yeah, not optimal for sure. But, surprisingly, they sound far from terrible...

I've tried the same previous set-up in a much bigger room with ample space to the side and the difference is minimal. I also tried adding absorption on the first reflection points, again the difference is minimal (which I might pop back up, but really not a huge difference). I've no idea why the first reflections aren't messing things up, but they aren't. Getting a nice wide sound stage that I perceive 2-3ft wider than walls either side. In fact soundstage with these MA's is cavernous on initial impressions.

Position to the front wall seems to have a much more drastic effect in terms of sound stage and bass control.

One day I might try and learn a bit more about all this.

Fosi V3 amp(s) from Amazon. Got one for the desktop in the study to replace a NAD C315, and that liberated about a square foot of desk space as well as pepping up the sound.

Just secured another one for the system in the garage, that's replacing an ancient Sony Mini system, on which the cassette and CD players have expired, and which has been for the last few years, used with an iPod and Cambridge Audio dock.

Just preordered the new Fosi V3 mono's with uprated power supplies they are developing.

The kickstarter launched today and they've already hit the target.

There are promised improvements over the V3 (which I've already bought/sold to try it out).

The new monos look like the ZA3 with the air vent side fins. I've bought the "bling" orange knobs too, of course.

Should arrive in June. I guess I'll be one of the first to own these. Some thoughts will follow.

The V3 was impressive for the size and cost, so improved mono versions should be interesting.

Position to the front wall seems to have a much more drastic effect in terms of sound stage and bass control.

From what I’ve read online they appear to need a fair amount of space around them but there is no information regarding dispersion or any technical data on the monitor audio website to aid in suitable placement, they are nice looking though, hope you’re happy with them.

From what I’ve read online they appear to need a fair amount of space around them but there is no information regarding dispersion or any technical data on the monitor audio website to aid in suitable placement, they are nice looking though, hope you’re happy with them.

I read those same reviews and was expecting to wrestle with them.

Plot twist: they're proving rather unfussy (vs Neat Petite Classics / Dynaudio Heritage Specials / Dali Opticon 2 Mk2) I've literally plonked them down where I had the tiny Neats - meaning they're all squashed up 18cm from the front wall - and yet they seem to be playing ball. The Dynaudios, for example, 30cm away from the front wall had bass overhang, despite the fact they roll off a lot earlier than the MAs. I'm assuming speaker design comes into play.

MA reckon 50-70h+ run-in then I'll tinker with set-up. First port of call will be pulling them further out into the room. Then play with toe in. But given I couldn't have placed them worse to start with / my struggle with the Dynaudios, on initial listens, I'm feeling pretty chipper, thanks 😁

Measurements here at the bottom (I got my browser to translate) https://www.hifi-voice.com/testy-a-recenze/reprosoustavy-regalove/4392-monitor-audio-platinum-100-3g

Just preordered the new Fosi V3 mono's with uprated power supplies they are developing.

The kickstarter launched today and they've already hit the target.

There are promised improvements over the V3 (which I've already bought/sold to try it out).

The new monos look like the ZA3 with the air vent side fins. I've bought the "bling" orange knobs too, of course.

Should arrive in June. I guess I'll be one of the first to own these. Some thoughts will follow.

The V3 was impressive for the size and cost, so improved mono versions should be interesting.

Yes please let us know how you get along withe The Fosi Mono's. :)

The last bit of hi-fi I bought was a cheap 2nd hand CD player, a Cambridge Audio 640c, to go into the system in the office in our cottage. Initially it'll be used alongside a WiiM Pro and probably a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic I have spare.

I've got a growing list of CD players needing repair which I really should get around to do something about. Adding to a Naim CD3.5 which isn't reading discs any more and an ancient but still good sounding Micromega that still works but needs a nudge when feeding a disc I've also just found that another of my players - A Cambridge Audio 840C (which I think was fairly pricey back in the day) - isn't retracting the tray any more and probably needs a belt replaced. That's on top of a lovely Chinese player I have with a valve stage that's blown up and is likely non-repairable.

Just been offered one of the Sony universal players, a SONY DVP-NS900V QS, cheap (£90) so have purchased that. One of the blown up CD players I have was the only one of mine that did SACD so it'll be nice to have a player with that capability again.

No idea what the SONY DVP-NS900V QS will be like as a CD transport but the online reviews seem decent enough.

advertisement

Back