advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

@gavreid You're confident the Rega is going to be a step up on the Amadeus. 😁
No, actually I doubt it will be but I have great difficulty with the WT arm nowadays and I've already trashed a good Karat D3. Anyway, it's a change and it's staying. I might hang on to the WT for a while but my Planar 3 is for sale even if I have to part it up.

@gavreid Thanks for the info and sorry if you have mentioned why you needed to change, I've either not read your post or forgotten, that's the trouble reading too many forums. 😂 Good luck with the Rega, hope it hits the spot.

One thing I now understand is how the corner of a square plinth protects the cartridge. I never used the stylus guard on the WT, this is scary business! I certainly wouldn't want it hanging in free space on a Rega wall mount.

Symphonium Meteor IEM's, was going to buy them a year ago but couldn't quite stomach the cost and I wanted to hear/read more reviews before I took the plunge, glad I finally did, should've done it sooner as I've bought/sold quite a few iem's in the past year, fat well controlled bass for my choice of electronic music.

53613534292_6979193374_h.jpg

I got the call yesterday to go and collect my new Lumin U2 Mini Streamer that I ordered to replace my Metrum Ambre Roon end point. It has been installed and configured to be used as a Roon end point so nothing new there then other than it sounds better. As is my way I will run it constantly for around 100 hours to “condition” it before any further experimentation with settings. Looking forward to trying things as the Metrum was basically fit and forget.

In time I will also connect my DAC directly to the Power Amp In on my integrated amplifier to utilise the Lumin’s on board Leedh Processing digital volume control which functions without loss of resolution. I have heard the benefits of doing this as a friend uses his Lumin T2 that way and he gets a very clean and powerful sound.

I’m quite excited about all the flexibility I now have.

Would be interesting to know how you think they compare. The Brio (current version) sounds lovely to me. Massively underrated I think, probably because it’s too cheap!
it's been in for a week now and overall I'm impressed. It's very easy to listen to, has a full sound, not thin at all with a nice midrange, and whilst not massively detailed it's not lacking in that area.

It's not in the same league as the LM 518IA. It lacks the air, soundstage and finesse that the LM brigs to the table. Whilst the Brio midrange is good it's just can't compete with the LM there. The best way I could describe is that It sounds a bit pedestrian in comparison. But for £540 it's an absolute cracker and most importantly it's fun and really easy to listen to. It's a massive Hifi cliche but I find myself evaluating the sound less and just listening. Which is a good thing as I can get a tad obsessive on that front, especially when a new bit of kit is plugged in.

My attempts at describing sound are always abysmal but hopefully you get the drift. I've had various amps around this price point in the past and this is the best of the bunch.

Cd555ps for my ndx2. Always been an advocate for the xpsdr power supply, which is very good. Im looking forward to what its big brother can bring.

A very rare think, a Linn Linnk MC phono stage (made by Naim before Linn started making electronics). It sounds remarkably good, not the quietest thing but very decent sounding.

it's been in for a week now and overall I'm impressed. It's very easy to listen to, has a full sound, not thin at all with a nice midrange, and whilst not massively detailed it's not lacking in that area.

It's not in the same league as the LM 518IA. It lacks the air, soundstage and finesse that the LM brigs to the table. Whilst the Brio midrange is good it's just can't compete with the LM there. The best way I could describe is that It sounds a bit pedestrian in comparison. But for £540 it's an absolute cracker and most importantly it's fun and really easy to listen to. It's a massive Hifi cliche but I find myself evaluating the sound less and just listening. Which is a good thing as I can get a tad obsessive on that front, especially when a new bit of kit is plugged in.

My attempts at describing sound are always abysmal but hopefully you get the drift. I've had various amps around this price point in the past and this is the best of the bunch.
Thanks for the update. I have a Brio and an Aethos here so I can compare and contrast. Where the Aethos is big, bold, detailed and dynamic, the Brio is smaller, softer, but inviting and intimate. I’m curious now to have a listen to the Line Magnetic.

Thanks for the update. I have a Brio and an Aethos here so I can compare and contrast. Where the Aethos is big, bold, detailed and dynamic, the Brio is smaller, softer, but inviting and intimate. I’m curious now to have a listen to the Line Magnetic.
If you lived a bit closer, I'd say pop round but I've just seen you're in the Scottish Islands.

I got the call yesterday to go and collect my new Lumin U2 Mini Streamer that I ordered to replace my Metrum Ambre Roon end point. It has been installed and configured to be used as a Roon end point so nothing new there then other than it sounds better. As is my way I will run it constantly for around 100 hours to “condition” it before any further experimentation with settings. Looking forward to trying things as the Metrum was basically fit and forget.

In time I will also connect my DAC directly to the Power Amp In on my integrated amplifier to utilise the Lumin’s on board Leedh Processing digital volume control which functions without loss of resolution. I have heard the benefits of doing this as a friend uses his Lumin T2 that way and he gets a very clean and powerful sound.

I’m quite excited about all the flexibility I now have.
Tell me how you get on with that formulation (U2 Mini - Leedh digi volume control - power amp)?

Roon also has the ability to act as an excellent software volume control I assume you also experimented with that option too?

Either way, I don't need a pre-amp (I only have one source = digital) so it will be interesting to see how you get on.

Two faulty MDACs for a sensible price - both with intermittent clicking on output…which doesn’t particularly sound like the caps, but for sure they’ll need changing :)

Picked up my new Avondale SE200 & ASX power supply to slot into my NAC72 & ATC SCM40 (mk.1). Lovely trip out to meet Les and Gavin at Hebden Bridge. Wow, what a difference compared to my NAP150 - just what the ATC’s, 72 and I have been waiting for. Now it’s just a case of finding time to rediscover my music collection.

A&R T21 tuner with the gold/yellow printing on the front to match my A60.

The case is a bit dinged and may have seen paint, I will probably veneer it in Zebrano to match my A60. Can’t grumble for £36 though as it all works fine, I’ve been looking for one for pocket money for a while.

This could become my kitchen system with a pair of AVI NuNutrons on the end.

advertisement

Back