advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Just picked up a pair of Beovox CX100's for the small room - perfectly usable condition have been refoamed and vinylwrapped only problem I can see is some of the locating tabs have been broken - have found stl files online so maybe get replacements printed sometime if I can get the same blue fabric.
Sound remarkable in a small room against the wall.

Monitor Audio silver 200 7 in gloss black.
Arriving tomorrow.
First new hifi purchase since 2001. 😳
They sounded great on audition.
Hope they sound as good at home but I’m excited to find out.
Spent the afternoon setting up my old LP12 and amps so that I can dive straight in tomorrow. lol

I took the plunge and purchased an English Electric 8 port switch. I had read so much about audiophile switches and like so many things in hifi you have the believers and the non-believers. The only way I was going to find out if there are benefits to be had was to try it for myself.

I purchased the switch along with 2 Chord 1.5m ethernet cables, a C-Stream for the TV and a Clearway for the streamer.

Did it transform the sound of my hifi? No, but it certainly made some marked improvements, some of the hard digital edge to the sound was removed making it more pleasant to listen to and also instruments/voices seem better defined within the soundstage.

All in all for what in the grand scheme is not a massive financial outlay I am pleased with the improvements and certainly won't be returning it.

beautiful ... 36kg of beauty in fact
I know... and I'd promised myself I'd stick to kit weighing 20kg or less.
It will have to go on the top shelf of the rack to avoid back problems if ti nesds moving since that's the only obvious place to facilitate a two person lift..

It just sounds better than both the 760 and the 860 :)

very very impressed by 330a i got a few months ago , wouldnt mind another one one day !!
I've had a Moon 260DT CDT and 180Mind streamer, and have got Moon 810LP and 760a in the system at present - Moon kit just works rather well and with no fuss.

My dealer recently bridged a pair of those 300 series power amps since he'd got the adaptor cables in the shop. He found that there was quite an increase in gain, so you'll probably be setting volume quite a bit lower on the pre if you take that route.

I could have gone the bridged route by getting another 760a but I did not want the extra box and the expense of another Nordost Tyr 2 power cable to match the one I already use on the power amp.

Do cables count. Recently bought some VdH The Sea RCA. Before that, I purchased my DAC, a Topping E70V.
They sound pretty good together.

I know... and I'd promised myself I'd stick to kit weighing 20kg or less.

Its difficult sticking to a weight limit. I have an inoperable hernia, so absolutely have to stick to 11kg limit. Not too difficult with separates (I don't use large amplifiers) but speakers can be a bit of a problem.

Just an update on the Monitor Audios sliver 200 7s.
They are very unobtrusive in our room and for looks and sound they definitely pass the wife acceptance test😉.
Sadly, my wife cannot stand music to be played loud so they have only been played at low to moderate levels so far, but I am impressed.
They have a much better defined bass than the Epos 11s, which could definitely be a bit one note, and an equally transparent midrange.
They are being fed from a pre cirkus LP12 that is now sitting on a light pine coffee table and doesnt appear to be any less good sounding than it was on a dedicated rack.🤔
Tbh it looks and sounds great.
Very pleased so far👍

Last thing I bought was a Fosi V3 class d micro amp, to see what the fuss was about. I've given it a small go, but (not unexpectedly), it is nowhere near as good as my pre/power combo. I will give it a proper go next week.

Also, shelled out a few hundred quid on a bunch of new records, so new music is arriving almost daily atm.

There was only 1 set of the 50,100,200 & 300 but there is about 20 of the 20W
The 300's we the most powerful single ended class A amps at that time and more powerful than what Krell were doing. Colin Wonfor is a genius and only lives up the road from me. I now have one of his preamps which is fantastic and a lot better than my Audio Research one.
I sold my Seca 20 after getting the 50 mono's and that was a really good amp too.

advertisement

Back