advertisement

What to do with my father's Quad ESL63's

So, (and I’m sorry to take this O/T momentarily) which ones? I can’t go without bass, (I run subs atm with my 12” woofers) so like to hear everything, so please realise that I’m not adverse to adding subs to whichever quads I try, but I don’t want to buy a set and then hanker after a ‘better’ pair for my tastes, so where should I start??

A lot depends on the space you are trying to fill and how far away you want to listen. Quad ESL63s are not bass-light to my ears, they dig pretty deep and do that ‘big speaker thing’ of shifting air, which for me is far more what bass actually is rather than just getting down to a certain Hz figure. The larger variants e.g. the 989 add an extra panel to increase bass, though I’m not sure that matters to me much. You may find a period of adjustment as the way they do bass is different from boxes, definitely from ported boxes, but what they do is very real. Fabulous speakers IMO. I feel they are pretty much flawless aside from dynamics, they just never seem quite as alive as say a big efficient Tannoy, JBL, huge horns or whatever, but that may be because I’ve never heard them on the end of a huge US muscle amp or similar yet. I’m not talking volume here, they certainly go louder than I’d ever want, there is just something about my Tannoys I miss whenever I hear them even though they are just stunning in other areas.

You can book a same-day service at Quad for an additional charge.
The extra charge would be less than boxes and shipping, and no risk of damage.

advertisement

Back