advertisement

What to do with CDs?

I have many box sets but nowadays am extremely selective about acquiring them.

The idea of a big 'complete' box set is always appealing and tempting. But truth be told, I seldom really enjoy them unless they are truly special. I find I prefer listening to individual albums over time (of course one can argue that one can do that with a box set, one cd at a time). Very big box sets are just overwhelming.

One of my Tinder profle pics is in front of my CD racks . Sadly they get more compliments than me ;-(
Maybe I need to retake it , infront of the LP rack :)
Oh this is a really useful reminder, thanks. I was intending to take pictures of the collection! A bit late now, since I've boxed most of them, but maybe worth doing.

Hope your CDs get you some dates. Imagine how popular you'd be if it was vinyl!

I recently bought a Steve Hackett 5 CD box set thinking it was vinyl but it was CD.
I bought at Cyrus CDi-XR as I thought it would look good with the rest of my system.
To be polite I didn't like the music.
However I have a few CD's that I couldn't rip to FLAC due to read errors on my Mac.
Handy to have and they are heavily discounted due to falling sales but still exceptionally expensive as I have 900Mbps internet and Qobuz.
What a right d**k!

Yes, losing the cases on collectable early CDs is quite a big issue. People collecting ‘targets’, early Japanese or West German pressings know exactly what case it should be in (number and type of tabs, shape/style of stoppers, smooth-case vs. ribbed sides, patent pending marks etc etc).
Some people are nuts...

It’s a problem. My circa 4,000 CD‘s are starting to be a domestic issue and can see them being largely loft bound. Bizarrely, the 4,000 LP’s less so and are accepted. I think it’s because they make a ‘cool’ backdrop in the office for conference calls!

QUALITY. After ripping a couple of hundred CDs to ALAC I did do a comparison with a CD and thought oh bollocks, don't say the rip is inferior and I have to start again with WAV! I went back and persuaded myself that I was imagining the difference, but expectation bias was high here. I really wanted to persuade myself there was no difference, so as not to render my labour futile! I may revisit at some point, or I may decide that life's too short.
I think the quantity is more about the servers and the player software etc, in comparison to direct from CD.

I invested more time and cost into playing the ssd versions than I did in cd players and it showed.

The device I plug into the Antipodes server to rip the cd's from is very low end (a portable Asus), because I have read it's what a lot of people are using with much better systems than mine. Antipodes used to make their own ripper, but stopped, I believe because they considered it unnecessary.

advertisement

Back