advertisement

What to do to get my system sounding better at lower volumes

The requirement probably differs from one case to another. So probably best if I come up with some options which people could then pick/mix. From my POV this means starting with simple designs, then work upwards from that.

My own experience is that what mostly matters - particularly for 'lower level' listening - is to get the bass to be as audible as at higher levels. So I'll start from that and report back as I get some results people can comment upon.

Jim, I for one , would be interested. A simple, switchable dooberry for use with my Suggie sounds just the job.
You could initially experiment with something like a Schiit Loki Mini analogue EQ to see if tone shaping is going to improve your lower level listening experience.

The requirement probably differs from one case to another. So probably best if I come up with some options which people could then pick/mix. From my POV this means starting with simple designs, then work upwards from that.

My own experience is that what mostly matters - particularly for 'lower level' listening - is to get the bass to be as audible as at higher levels. So I'll start from that and report back as I get some results people can comment upon.
Glancing at the hearing curves a pole and zero at 100 Hz and 300 Hz would be a starting point for 60 dBA.

I also have in mind the kinds of LF roll-off many speakers exhibit. Not just the 'loudness' curves - which I suspect anyway TBH. Too much of an 'typical' result when I suspect individual cases vary a lot. Against that really want to keep it simple as possible and easy for someone to mod to suit their case.

In addition I'd want to avoid ending up needing loads of close-matched capacitors or inductors as that can become a minefield for someone making one. So KISS.

This is the kind of approach I have in mind
http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/temp/BassShelf1.jpg
It's like the one I made ages ago for a friend with ESL57s.

The point is that it is simple. You can get high tolerance resistors fairly easily, and because it only needs one cap per channel means only two caps to get similar and decent. You can then choose the roll-up and gain lift levels by choice (or switching) the resistors. The values here are for illustration and can be changed for the situation.

I'm surprised that anybody thinks conventional tone controls worthwhile in the age of digital signal processing.

The DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0, quite apart from addressing unwanted speaker/room interaction up to (in my case) 350Hz, has a variable "loudness" control and 16 parametric (i.e. the user chooses the centre frequency and bandwidth as well as the gain) equalisation filters. There is no problem it cannot help with... and it has 4 sound profiles available, so a setup very specifically tailored to low-level listening in a particular room could be made available with the press of a single button.

advertisement

Back