advertisement

What Stylus Force Gauge To Buy?

Load cells are typically most accurate in the middle of their range, hence I would question the Ortofon's claimed tolerance of +/- 0.1 g. I think one would be best off with a unit with a 5 gram maximum capacity, placing the average VTF in the middle of its range.

Load cells are typically most accurate in the middle of their range, hence I would question the Ortofon's claimed tolerance of +/- 0.1 g. I think one would be best off with a unit with a 5 gram maximum capacity, placing the average VTF in the middle of its range.

Quite agree; I waited for some time before I found one at a reasonable price with a max. of 5grammes.

I use the plastic Ortophon guage that came with the Naim ARO. It works really well. I just set up the arm for the tracking weight that I think I want, tweak it by ear, re-weigh - its usually within a gnats whisker of where I started, mark that with a felt tip pen, and its fine from then on. Non ferrous and low profile. With the ARO the height is critically important, so you have to take the mat off and measure at the record surface height. Can't really see how anything electronic and digital can improve the process.

advertisement

Back