advertisement

What Speakers ?

Quadboy

dylandave
Looking for Speakers for our sun room , half glass on 3 walls , 7m x 4m . The speakers have to sit close to the shorter wall and fire down the room . Ideally second hand , that would still sound good sitting maybe 5.5m away . At the moment I'm using Linn Isobariks which sound great while sitting halfdown the room , but loose a little magic when I sit at the far wall . The wife is rearranging the room so the halfway seating is not an option . Any ideas ?

There must be a way of making the Briks work. Small changes to room layout, as approved by the Domestic Controller, may well fix the issue. If you can't do it by trial and error I'd start room sound measurement before buying expensive kit.

With all that glass, it’s going to be hard to get a traditional speaker design to work well IMHO.

If you can live without the “imaging” phenomenon, the SHAHINIAN ARCs might be a good bet.

The ARCs give a sonic presentation that is less like sitting in the audience and more like siting-in with the band - so NO listening sweet-spot is necessary. They also hold together well, even at higher volumes.

The ARCs like a bit of power - even for lowish volume listening - so solid-state is the way to go… Perhaps an affordable 300W Class D / T / ICE ?

Unfussy placement and very wife-friendly appearance makes them a bit of a winner IMHO.

Just my 10-cents worth.

OIP-C.1UkSA83x7UFpKnmD3KtKzQHaFj

3229793-f42dfe76-shahinian-arc-loudspeakers.jpg

I swapped my Briks for a pair of Arcs mainly to keep the wife happy. They actually sound pretty much the same but the Arcs have a slightly better lower end and the Briks had a bit deeper bass.

You could even choose them on the appearance alone, ie Big ones verses more compact ones.

You will always be better off firing across a room rather than down it.

Have you considered Audio Note ANJ’s? I use a pair in a 3.5x5.5m room with bi-folds down one of the longer walls. Superb! Also good in our last house in a 5x9m room. I would post a pic, but struggle with the tech bit!

Thanks folks . I'd forgotten about the Arcs , they might just be what I'm looking for . I'll also do a bit of research into the ANJ's . My mentor , "Mr Pig") on this forum, who turned me onto the Briks , also recommended Shahinian. What would I pay for used Arcs ?

With all that glass, it’s going to be hard to get a traditional speaker design to work well IMHO.

If you can live without the “imaging” phenomenon, the SHAHINIAN ARCs might be a good bet.

The ARCs give a sonic presentation that is less like sitting in the audience and more like siting-in with the band - so NO listening sweet-spot is necessary. They also hold together well, even at higher volumes.

The ARCs like a bit of power - even for lowish volume listening - so solid-state is the way to go… Perhaps an affordable 300W Class D / T / ICE ?

Unfussy placement and very wife-friendly appearance makes them a bit of a winner IMHO.

Just my 10-cents worth.

OIP-C.1UkSA83x7UFpKnmD3KtKzQHaFj

3229793-f42dfe76-shahinian-arc-loudspeakers.jpg
I'd be using them with a Quad PRE and a pair of Quad QMP monoblocks and the good lady likes the Arcs already .

If there is any chance of having the speakers near the long walls further into the room, Dipole speakers such as Magnepan/Quad ESL might well work quite well.
Or, as an alternative, something with narrower/controlled dispersion may well do better, to minimise the room effects of the longer/thinner room.

Also Duevels?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If there is any chance of having the speakers near the long walls further into the room, Dipole speakers such as Magnepan/Quad ESL might well work quite well.
Or, as an alternative, something with narrower/controlled dispersion may well do better, to minimise the room effects of the longer/thinner room.
The speakers need to be as close to the short wall as possible....I know . The things we do for a "quiet" life

I'd be using them with a Quad PRE and a pair of Quad QMP monoblocks and the good lady likes the Arcs already .

With your QUAD's touch of warmth and 260W on-tap, the ARCs should be a matchmade in heaven.

Best of all, with their unobtrusive form-factor, you will probably be able to "take a few more liberties" with ARC positioning - not that it is critical with these speakers.

Years ago, I had the OBILESKs at home for a week - with plenty of PLINIUS solid-state power driving them. I never warmed to them at all.

I have to say that I far preferred my time with the ARCs versus the OBILESKs.

YMMV, but bang for buck, I consider the ARCs to be the absolute SHAHINIAN sweet-spot. :cool: 👍

The question is, can you live WITHOUT the traditional hi-fi audience-view imaging phenomenon? If you can, I think you will be in clover with the ARCs...

POST SCRIPT EDIT: Actually, with three glass walls, I don't think traditional pin-point hi-fi imaging will ever come together well in your room - even with a set of image-champion monitors!

There's also another pair slightly cheaper in a different finish but I liked the look of these:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
With your QUAD's touch of warmth and 260W on-tap, the ARCs should be a matchmade in heaven.

Best of all, with their unobtrusive form-factor, you will probably be able to "take a few more liberties" with ARC positioning - not that it is critical with these speakers.

Years ago, I had the OBILESKs at home for a week - with plenty of PLINIUS solid-state power driving them. I never warmed to them at all.

YMMV, but bang for buck, I consider the ARCs to be the absolute SHAHINIAN sweet-spot. :cool: 👍

The question is, can you live WITHOUT the traditional hi-fi audience-view imaging phenomenon? If you can, I think you will be in clover with the ARCs...

POST SCRIPT EDIT: Actually, with three glass walls, I don't think traditional pin-point hi-fi imaging will ever come together well in your room - even with a set of image-champion

POST SCRIPT EDIT: Actually, with three glass walls, I don't think traditional pin-point hi-fi imaging will ever come together well in your room - even with a set of image-champion monitors!
I'm not really bothered about imaging . The overall sound is most important , where I can listen for an hour or two and then still want to play more music . The Arcs seem to tick all the boxes and I've read a few old posts where folk have moved on from Briks to Arcs and not looked back . Sounds like a plan .if anyone would like to move a pair on , please get in touch .

A pair of NBL's has just come onto eBay. They seem a bit overpriced relative to any recent sales but might be worth a look. I think you'll find the arcs a bit too small for your room.

A pair of NBL's has just come onto eBay
Some of the older Naim loudspeakers are made to be placed near wall and perform without boom and other nasties.
A point where many other manufactures failed as majority of ported loudspeakers need placement far away from rear wall and boundaries.
Its crazy really, who wants their living room space increased by such compromise?

advertisement

Back