advertisement

What speakers to replace Ruark crusader II?

youngdand

Hi,

I suppose the title says it all really. I have had these for nearly 10 years, and although I really like them, I have started to wonder what else is about and what range I should be looking at to better them.

I will be driving them with an abrahamsen v2.0up. Play Al types of music, and currently run a sub, and don't mind continuing to do so.

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Dan.

Amphion have always impressed me. https://amphion.fi/
Considering you are using a sub, their bookshelf speakers should be fine.

Cheers, they look interesting. Really like the argon 7 but Not sure I have the space due to the passive radiators at the back, I can only really stretch to 8 inches behind the speaker. Do you think that would affect the sound?

The Ruark Crusaders are nice speakers and it'll take something very nice to better them. They're not especially bass light speakers and if you're using them near a back wall and with a sub I'm guessing that you like a quite a strong bass output.

My suggestion would therefore be to 'go big' and ditch the sub as this'll give you the effortless powerful bass you desire without the thorny issue of trying to seamlessly integrate the subs output (tricky and so often unsatisfactory).

Some big transmission line speakers would be were I'd go. Something like big vintage TDL's or more modern PMC's if you can afford them.

If the 8" behind the speakers applies to the Crusaders you may not be hearing them at their best - they do like a little bit more space around them - I think mine ended up being 12-13" out before the sound fully cleared up. The Crusaders do have a lovely coherence and the midrange is very good indeed so if you're set on a change be prepared to spend a few quid to better them. Mike P (see above) was good enough to recap mine and that was a nice improvement...……..

The Ruark Crusaders are nice speakers and it'll take something very nice to better them. They're not especially bass light speakers and if you're using them near a back wall and with a sub I'm guessing that you like a quite a strong bass output.

My suggestion would therefore be to 'go big' and ditch the sub as this'll give you the effortless powerful bass you desire without the thorny issue of trying to seamlessly integrate the subs output (tricky and so often unsatisfactory).

Some big transmission line speakers would be were I'd go. Something like big vintage TDL's or more modern PMC's if you can afford them.

Cheers,

I use the sub to fill in only very deep bass, I have it dialed in pretty well and it blends nicely with the mains. when I switch it off I miss the depth of certain tracks. But you're right, I preferred this set up in my previous house where they had more room behind, and 13ft ceilings.

I considered pmc when getting the crusaders, but I had previously had a pair of epilogue bookshelf and loved the sound, and always promised myself a bigger pair of ruark. Was looking at the gb1i back then.

Really looking for floor standers, I have some stand mount / bookshelf speakers that get swapped in an out, ar4xa, Griffin 27, mordant short ms400. Though I wouldn't mind trying some more modern, such as spendor or proac.

Hi,

I suppose the title says it all really. I have had these for nearly 10 years, and although I really like them, I have started to wonder what else is about and what range I should be looking at to better them.

I will be driving them with an abrahamsen v2.0up. Play Al types of music, and currently run a sub, and don't mind continuing to do so.

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Dan.

How about some modern Dynaudios? The Crusaders used Dynaudio units and to my ears were not that different form the Dyns of that era. Modern ones are cleaner, although without some of the warmth towards the bottom end that I heard in the Ruarks. Evoke 30s might be a good place to start.

HTH

Iain.

How about some modern Dynaudios? The Crusaders used Dynaudio units and to my ears were not that different form the Dyns of that era. Modern ones are cleaner, although without some of the warmth towards the bottom end that I heard in the Ruarks. Evoke 30s might be a good place to start.

HTH

Iain.
They look great, only concern is they are rear ported, and wounded how that will play with the limited space I have behind my speakers.

Deffinately added to the listening list though.

Cheers.

Dan

They look great, only concern is they are rear ported, and wounded how that will play with the limited space I have behind my speakers.

Deffinately added to the listening list though.

Cheers.

Dan
I have a pair of Dynaudio Excite X34s in my second system... I use the port bungs in them and have them almost hard up against tall bookcases themselves hard against a wall. Not a hint of boom even with a sub. I've had Crusaders in this room before and preferred the Dyns. Next on my list to try are Special 40s, possibly some Amphions.

Cheers

Iain.

advertisement

Back