advertisement

What Speakers After IBLs

Stemcor

I should be listening to music
I have been thinking for a while about changing speakers. I'm looking for the IBL speed but perhaps a more truthful timbre and just a bit more soundstage.

The listening room is carpet on a concrete floor and a solid wall. I know that SBLs are probably the obvious answer but I would appreciate some ideas for alternatives. Speakers on stands are a no-no as SWMBO would not like the "iron legs" although I could probably get away with a pair of bricks (not that a decent pair at the right price near to me will ever happen......).

I have not really had a serious listen to a speaker built since 1990 so am throwing this open for some help. The only think I ask is that this does not turn into a speaker bashing thread.

Budget is a secondary consideration. I don't mind waiting for a while if my perfect speaker is a bit pricey.

Hi Stemcor,

I don't know about IBLs but I can assure you that Artec or Art et Technologie is a serious brand which makes some incredible speakers (SEY3 mk2). You also have Jean-Marie Reynaud which is a very good one too.

good luck in your search for speakers

Olli

I know we are talking a completely different budget but SL2's do exactly what you are asking and also build on the strength of the IBL's not inconsiderable talents.

What are your amps and source components?

I went from IBLs driven by a NAP250 to Neat Motive 2s. Still think fondly about those Neats even though I sold them several years ago.

I went from IBLs to Neat Petites which I used for many years (mainly because I was about to need my third set of bass drivers after perhaps pushing them too far).

After a bit of experimentation I then ended up with Neat Ultimatum MFS stand mounts which gave me much deeper bass and a better sound all round. But I still like the IBLs which I think were really good loudspeakers, in part because they did not try and fail to do half a job in delivering deeper bass, like some other speakers do.

I do like the Audio Physic Classic 10s which I use with my valve setup, a really nice overall comfortable sound, very happy with rear wall but do like maybe 30cm, from rear wall to open up a bit... at the end of the day with my big actives, the classic 10s and their dinky drivers produce a really satisfyingly wide window to just listen uncritically to music with all that valve THD and nasty stuff that comes with hot dust and antediluvian tech. Domestic speakers, floor standers. Available in a wide variety of colours and sizes depending on the space needed to be filled.

Just a really nice speaker, you know? Its reliable and sounds good. I forget while how critical at times I can be of my own sound, its nice to not be that with others and that is the secret to along lasting relationship.

Many thanks for the replies so far. The rest of the system is a Rega P9 (mk 2), Goldring 2500, Rega Fono, Teddy PR1 into 2 x MB100 with a Squeezebox touch, Teddy Touch ps, Teddy Dac with volume control. The Fono will probably be replaced in the near future.

As the SL2 sounds like an option, has anybody got a price idea and are they available in black ash. I have only every seen photos of a beech pair.

IBLS are a very hard act to follow!

I swapped mine out for SBLs but the IBLs still do float my boat when I drag them out occasionally.

Went from IBL's (which I wasn't to fond of) to SBL's which I'm toooo fond of! Mk2 drivers are the best ones to go for. Quite a serious upgrade imo.

Yes SL2's are available in black ash, as well as maple, rosewood and cherry. Prices start at around £1500 upwards to £2500 for the normal finishes, depending on condition, and age. I'd imagine a pair in Rosewood would command around £3K in top order.

I run SL2s and the room situation you describe (concrete floor, solid wall) is ideal. However, the SL2 really only comes alive when driven actively, at which point it is truly excellent. This is a big step up from the ibble though in terms of price. If you are close to Liverpool you are welcome to bring your amps over and have a play with my SL2s.

EDIT: Oooh err missus before anybody else says it

Once again, many thanks to all who have made a contribution.

I have had a very brief listen to a pair of Arts and they are not for me.

Saras would be good but the stands are a no no.

Audio Physic sounds interesting. I might take a close look.

PMC might also be worthy of further investigation.

SL2 would be nice but I have a feeling that a black pair will be hard to find and I will also need to accumulate a bit of cash.

Htm. Many thanks for the offer. I was in Ormskirk last weekend to bring Stemcor minor home from Uni. Just my rotten luck to start this thread a couple of weeks late.

I'm watching this thread with much interest as I am considering, just considering at this stage, moving on from my beloved IBLs. This is mainly down to listening to quite a bit more classical music now, something I did very little of ten years ago.

I tried a pair of PMC DB1 i's for a couple of weeks but they took one step forward (in terms of naturalness and sound stage) and about five steps backwards in terms of musical connection, emotion and boogie factor. They also had to be at least 8 inches from the back wall.

I'm thinking that I might give SBL mkIIs a go. Teddy seems to think these would work well in our sitting room. If a decent pair of Mk II's comes along at a resonable price I might just give them a go, but hang on to the IBLs just in case.

SL2s would be perfect but TBH I'm slightly scared off by the initial cost and possible problems with replacement grilles.

I think changing to a non Naim speaker will be just too much of a culture shock for me and the missus.

I'm watching this thread with much interest as I am considering, just considering at this stage, moving on from my beloved IBLs. This is mainly down to listening to quite a bit more classical music now, something I did very little of ten years ago.

I tried a pair of PMC DB1 i's for a couple of weeks but they took one step forward (in terms of naturalness and sound stage) and about five steps backwards in terms of musical connection, emotion and boogie factor. They also had to be at least 8 inches from the back wall.

I'm thinking that I might give SBL mkIIs a go. Teddy seems to think these would work well in our sitting room. If a decent pair of Mk II's comes along at a resonable price I might just give them a go, but hang on to the IBLs just in case.

SL2s would be perfect but TBH I'm slightly scared off by the initial cost and possible problems with replacement grilles.

I think changing to a non Naim speaker will be just too much of a culture shock for me and the missus.

I've never heard IBL's, always been intrigued though. I've had a problem with most speakers I have owned over the years. I identified this down to ported speakers. I decided to take a punt on SBL's as the only speakers I have ever liked were all sealed enclosures. My hunch was correct and now own a lovely pair of walnut SBL's with MK2 drivers. Gorgeously satisfied now.

I'm quite happy with the SBL mk1s I got for peanuts Bob, but as I said I still have, and will continue to have, my IBLs.

advertisement

Back