advertisement

What sound are you aiming for?

I have a preferred ‘sound’ that I can now aspire to when I change gear. I think I preferred this sound when I first began my hifi journey. I’ll try to describe it. I like the sound to have a touch of darkness, like the deep yawn of the cello. I like the bass to be warm but articulate. The mids need to be a little forward so I can ‘see’ the soloist in 3 dimensions. The Maggies help immensely with this. I like a touch of brightness on top but short of sparkle. This is best epitomised by the sound of my A&R tuner, a determinedly 80s experience. I was comparing it to the BBC Sounds stream this morning and I preferred it each time. The sound of the A&R invites you into the music like the warm embrace of a dear friend. There’s a cool detachment to the stream that seems to repel me somewhat. I just don’t find it involving. The real advantage of connecting to a sound you love is that it stops you looking for something else, which is as convenient for my sanity as it is my pocket. It wondered whether I would get to this place. It’s great to be able to just listen to the music without the itch to change anything anymore.

Maybe you need to stream into a vintage DAC. One of the old A&RCam Deltas perhaps?

Another morning on my solitary. Made some celery and pea soup for lunch and now sitting to enjoy R3. Really appreciating the free music and the sound. I’ll put some vinyl on later. I’ve got one more tweak to do when have the money. Need higher ohm headphones to match with the Ear. Will get around to it.

I think I look for natural-seeming tone, body, and airiness.

A system, like a recording mix, can be EQ'd for that sort of balance.
Or you can use measurements to shortlist stuff which might get you there (it's what I do).

VxnYhwP.png

ajXC0Ik.png

While audio memory is an eloquent trickster, I’d love the sound of an old Leak amp, tuner and Thorens deck from back in the 70s. Now it’s partly avoiding the sound I don’t like. And that is longer listening spells that become fatiguing with overly bright upper frequencies.

Recently hell for my ears was a Bryson integrated with the PMC Twenty5 i range. It was truly awful, and I’ve had earlier iterations of those speakers. I like a full range sound, with decent but not overblown low frequencies.

My set up isn’t perfect but I love the ribbon tweeter’s delivery on my new speakers. So different to anything I’ve had. They don’t grate and let me enjoy the music instead of worrying about the system components and what they are doing.

Too much detail and sparkling trebles really tire me. The LRSs, with appropriate placement, achieve a good balance alongside their enviable transparency. With a carefully dialled in bass, they also provide decent dynamics. It’s by far the least fatiguing system I’ve had. There’s also very reduced sibilance that sometimes used to rear its head with past tuners. The internal Yamaha is decent but the A&R is something else.Right up my street.

A system that makes me think about doing something else other than use it, because it’s that enjoyable to listen to. Only thing I really look out for is excess sibilance as it annoys me muchly.

Just got in after a challenging day. Heard an average performance of Mahler 4 so popped on the classic George Szell 4. What a glorious performance. Sounds so engaging. Have a good evening all.

A system which is non fatiguing and presents instrument timbre correctly and detail and leaves you constantly buying more vinyl and CD's as its taken your love of music to new levels.
I blame my Maggies for this as they do all of the above :)

I’ve heard little live music. Know nothing about music in a technical/academic way. Yet, like even someone brain damaged, I know what I like and don’t like; it’s hard-wired in some way deep down.
So I aim for stuff that is tactile. If percussion isn’t well produced I lose interest quickly. I also like separation between instruments but am uninterested in whether they are accurately placed; just nicely spread out. Airy?
Things like tonality are beyond me. I’m sure I’m missing a lot that music can offer but get enough to enjoy myself.

advertisement

Back