advertisement

What single piece of kit did it for you?

What nearly did it for me was a Bush mono record player when I was eleven. Opened it up while it was still on and gave myself an experience I shall never forget.

An LP12 in the mid 80's. It was significantly better than the other decks I had heard back then and was a healthy upgrade from my old oil rig Systemdek. I still have the Sondek even though I've moved on.

Blue Circle 509 DAC
Has almost entirely taken me off the hifi bandwagon in terms of browsing websites and forums to see what's new and a 'must listen to', since anything capable of replacing it would certainly be outside my price .v. value range.
Instead, I've bought more new music recently since probably way back when I was a student.

My Krell pre-power combo - after numerous other upgrades to sources & speakers I finally have and amplifier that merely amplifies without adding its own character. Great recordings sound great, poor recordings sound poor, my daleks are under control - ;-)

For me the Rotel RCD865 bought to replace my Rega Planar 3 was the single piece of kit that did it for me. It was a total waste of money. It stayed for a while, but so did my Rega and vinyl. Convinced me that vinyl was the way to go...

Honorable mentions to the Linn Radikal and/or Keel for ARO - words fail me as to how good these products are. OK, they are eye-wateringly expensive but the difference the make to the LP12 is astonishing.

LP12,
Nap250,
and as of last week Tiger-paw sKale, its nice to know how good my cartridge realy is.

Hacker Gondalier record player.

This is all I had for about five years in my bedroom at home. I built quite a vinyl collection and it was brilliant. Very happy musical days.

I still have this record player and it now plays vinyl at my office!

Magnepans for me too. Upstream was conrad johnson stuff, but I suspect it could have been most any high-end setup and I'd still have been blown away.

home built HTPC.. Suddenly all my music is available in an instant, controlled via my tablet.. Now moving to having all my DVDs stored digitally as well.. All boxed up and tucked away.
Totally changed the way I listen/watch.. No more standing up to put another cd on. Can queue up a few cds, get it to shuffle, play a certain genre etc etc etc. :)

Sam
Id second that Sam mine opened up a whole new way of accessing a my media and the sound quality is excellent.

Alan

Recently serviced Naim NAT 01 (plus Galaxy 17) ... when I first heard what a BBC live broadcast sounded like I knew what hi-fi was capable of (why are there so few CDs so well recorded/mastered?).

Nic P

Quad ESLs. Though I've never owned a pair, they made me realise how close audio could get to 'the real thing'.

Around '72 I heard my, now, brother-in-law's system. A Thorens TD 124, SME 3009, Shure V15, Quad 33/303 and Quad ESL 57s. He played Carmina Burana.
At the time it was the most amazing sound I had ever heard. I can still recall it 40 years later. It started me into this hobby. Being able to sit down and let the music wash over you has been a lifelong pleasure. I now have a pair of Quad ESL 989s. One of my ambitons fulfilled.

Around '72 I heard my, now, brother-in-law's system. A Thorens TD 124, SME 3009, Shure V15, Quad 33/303 and Quad ESL 57s. He played Carmina Burana.
At the time it was the most amazing sound I had ever heard. I can still recall it 40 years later. It started me into this hobby. Being able to sit down and let the music wash over you has been a lifelong pleasure. I now have a pair of Quad ESL 989s. One of my ambitons fulfilled.

I bet that after all those intervening years and advances in technology,you won't find a much more involving system,congratulations on getting one of your desires requited.

Had a similar experience 30 years ago when my boss invited me for dinner. It was a split level, open plan room with the ESLs on the higher level, backing onto the open lower level. He has a B&O parallel tracking turntable and a 33/303. WOW!! I have only recently had the space for electrostats and will not sell my Tannoys I inherited from my Dad for sentimental reasons (doesn't hurt that they are great speakers).

Nic P

Hi
I would have to say it was when i was young and my step dad was into his hifi
Turntable was a AR legend with a AT arm which I can´t remember what model with a shure V15
Then a Sony TC630 tape recorder wish I owned one today.
Then a pair of mint AR LST he got in a second hand shop for 35pounds if I remember correctly they amazed us all even my mum and thats hard to do.
regards rik

advertisement

Back