advertisement

What phono stage with a Lyra Delos?

madscientist

pfm Member
Hi

I am interested to see what phono stage people use with their Lyra Delos and the resistance/capacitance settings they use?

Cheers

Paul

You'll find the Trilogy 906 very hard to beat at its £895 price point and giving its big brother the 907 a serious run.

I have used this with the Delos, Kiseki Blue and DV20XL2, brilliant phono stage.

You'll find the Trilogy 906 very hard to beat at its £895 price point and giving its big brother the 907 a serious run.

I have used this with the Delos, Kiseki Blue and DV20XL2, brilliant phono stage.

Apologies to OP, but out of interest, would you rank this above the Dynavector P75 even with a Dynavector cartridge?

Also, curious to see no recommendations for the Rega Aria

There must be dozens of medium level stages which would be good, but each will interact with your deck/arm and amplification + cables in subtly different ways. Again, the optimum loading will change from unit to unit.

Lyras prefer 560 ohms or so (or even higher) on my and my friend's Superline, but others prefer 220 R on their machines. I think it's a case of ''suck it and see'

One consistent thing, though, is that the Lyra's healthy 0.5 (or 0.55) mV output will adequately load most m/c stages

@ wiresandmore, in a word yes. :) This is not tot say the P75 isn't a good stage.

I have previously owned the P75MKII, Tricord Dino I & II & NCPS, Naim Stageline, a little Clearaudio I forget, TE Microgroove + customised by Tom and the Trilogy 907.

Bar the 907 the 906 wins out but I did like the TE stage a lot also.

Heard the Delos sound rather nice with a rega PS.
I'd like to hear one in my system with my AR PH5, reckon that could be good as well.
One day I'm going to have to hear what a Tron Convergence does as well.
I rarely hear anyone say anything bad about the Delos &
I struggle to hear much difference between the various cart loadings on my PH5.
Matt.

I rarely hear anyone say anything bad about the Delos &
I struggle to hear much difference between the various cart loadings on my PH5.
Matt.

I wonder if that's anything to do with being a valved stage, Matt. Whereas my Superline clearly showed differences in resistance plugs (with Koetsu, Benz and Transfig.), there seems little difference plugged into my twin on-board (SUT) E.A.R. pre. stages. Bit of a learning curve here !

Some phonostages are more likely to show greater variation in loading than others, it depends on the design of the input stage. The Lyra's tend to be less affected than some other carts, good coil design and low inductance helps.

The Lyra's tend to be less affected than some other carts, good coil design and low inductance helps.

my very small experience seems to confirm that: I've not heard significant differences changing load.
Stan Klyne thinks that a proper design of phonostage reduces (or cancels) sound dependency on impedance load; he -obviously- claims his phonostages are designed in such a way that you can load MC's even at 47kohm (I'm simplifying, please forgive me).

to be honest, I've tried several other ph.stages and I've not heard huge differences with them as well.

Weak bass and no life with Stageline.
The same all Linn kit (LP 12, circus, tramp2, Ittok, aktiv Katans on Linn stands, LK 85s, wakonda, REL B3) with the replacement Linto opened everything. Quiet, engaging.

advertisement

Back