advertisement

What path would you take?

zipperheadbanjo

pfm Member
I'd like to get my digital front end a little closer in terms of sound quality to my vinyl. On the vinyl side of things I'm running an RP 10 / Apheta 2 through a Superline (powered by my NAC 552). Using a standard Naim lavender interconnect here.

Digital side is an NDX 2 (self-powered), SuperLumina RCA > DIN interconnect into NAC 552.

Amplification is a Naim 250-2 (non DR).

The options I'm contemplating are as follows:

- add a Chord Qutest (NDX2 as transport). These come up for sale frequently on the Canadian auction site for about $1700.

- Add a TP XPS. Cost if new is relatively identical to a used Qutest. They rarely come up used, so I can't count on the resale market here. Wouldn't consider the Naim XPS DR (even used) due to cost. I have used TP power supplies before and have found them to be excellent.

I can get access to a Qutest for a test listen in my system... not so with the Teddy XPS.

I have in the past run an NDX> Hugo TT into a 252 and enjoyed that combination quite a lot.

If it were your choice... which path would you choose and why?

A bare NDX2 is a good streamer but not in my opinion, even with a Superlumina interconnect, up to the level of an RP10 especially if you've got a 552.

I know you've discounted the XPS-DR due to the cost but if you sold the Superlumina and add to this the amount that you're looking to spend on a new TXPS or used Qutest then you would likely be able to afford a used XPS-DR off eBay and I would suspect that would give you more satisfaction and would be within the budget that you've outlined.

Last edited:
I
I'd like to get my digital front end a little closer in terms of sound quality to my vinyl. On the vinyl side of things I'm running an RP 10 / Apheta 2 through a Superline (powered by my NAC 552). Using a standard Naim lavender interconnect here.

Digital side is an NDX 2 (self-powered), SuperLumina RCA > DIN interconnect into NAC 552.

Amplification is a Naim 250-2 (non DR).

The options I'm contemplating are as follows:

- add a Chord Qutest (NDX2 as transport). These come up for sale frequently on the Canadian auction site for about $1700.

- Add a TP XPS. Cost if new is relatively identical to a used Qutest. They rarely come up used, so I can't count on the resale market here. Wouldn't consider the Naim XPS DR (even used) due to cost. I have used TP power supplies before and have found them to be excellent.

I can get access to a Qutest for a test listen in my system... not so with the Teddy XPS.

I have in the past run an NDX> Hugo TT into a 252 and enjoyed that combination quite a lot.

If it were your choice... which path would you choose and why?

If you want to get your digital to be closer in quality to your vinyl, you'll have to find some way to screw it up! Perhaps you could use some DRC and a random crackle and pop generator for starters.:confused:

Easy enough to improve your vinyl side (well, one way, anyway) is to put a Supercap on the Superline. This will improve both S'line and 552. I went this route before ditching Naim. Why not CD? Some valved CDPs are so close to quality vinyl (Lector, Rega, maybe A.R.C.). Don't do intangible music so can't offer anything there.

A bare NDX2 is a good streamer but not in my opinion, even with a Superlumina interconnect, up to the level of an RP10 especially if you've got a 552.

I know you've discounted the XPS-DR due to the cost but if you sold the Superlumina and add to this the amount that you're looking to spend on a new TXPS or used Qutest then you would likely be able to afford a used XPS-DR off eBay and I would suspect that would give you more satisfaction and would be within the budget that you've outlined.

thus I assume... you feel the XPS DR is significantly better than the Teddy version? Have you tried both?

thus I assume... you feel the XPS DR is significantly better than the Teddy version? Have you tried both?

Yes, I've tried both the TXPS and XPS-DR and to my ears the XPS-DR is better.

Whilst the Teddy supply is good I feel that it moves away from the Naim sound somewhat.

I've recently added a TXPS to my NDX and I'm very happy with the result! I've not heard an XPS so I can't give you a comparision. When I eventually upgrade to an NDS I'll be purchasing an TXPS+ to run with the TXPS.

advertisement

Back