advertisement

what next format to revive?

You don't even need 15 ips, 7 1/2 ips will do more than nicely. In fact, there were some rather good pre-recorded 7 1/2ips reel tapes offered Stateside, right up until the late '70s. The best of these were duped in real time on basic Ampex tape that has stood up very well (and far better than Ampex's more exotic formulations) to the rigours of time, age, and storage. The tape does lend a certain hint of mid-forward emphasis, a kind of luminous presence, but when combined with the airy big-boned sound of reel tape, you can need up with a sound that is really rather lovely and a world away from what we've become used to from digital replay.

I have a couple of hundred 7 1/2 ips pre-recorded reels, and to take just one example, Dave Brubeck's Time Out, I have this on CD, Hi-res, many different vinyl issues, but it's the reel that I come back to as my favourite time and again. Same for something like David Cosby's If Only I Could Remember My Name, I have the CD, the remaster, the Hi-res, many different LP issues, but it's always the reel that's just a bit more special.

And when they're playing they look cool...

Oh, I should also add that the choice of replay machine is important too. Much as I love my Revox decks, particularly with the big 10.5 inch reels, I find that it's the smaller Sony's that really give me the most pleasure when playing back these pre-recorded reels. The TC-377 family is a great start and the model that first bit me with the reel bug. But you have to be right on top of the greasing ritual otherwise speed can suffer. My favourite Sony for pre-recorded reel reply is the nigh-on bomb-proof TC-645; it has everything you need (3 motors, 3 f+f heads, excellent response, good sounding circuitry, easy to overhaul) and no fancy bits that will go wrong like solenoid controls, complex transport etc..

Oh, and I'm afraid that in spite of having had a number of Akai R2Rs, I've always found them just too opaque sounding compared to the equivalent Sony decks. Not my cup of tea.
Most informative to a complete noob like me, thank you.

What about TEACs and Tascam machines with the big reels? Also, Pioneer RT-707/909s?

Naks have a well deserved reputation but others can match them.
The best from Sony, Revox, JVC and Pioneer can produce extremely faithful recordings.

I keep either a JVC DD9 (their '81 TOTL DD machine) or a Pioneer CTF7171 (TOTL for '75) in the system. The former makes very faithful recordings, the latter clean if more characterful.

The problem is finding good tapes. No good quality blank tapes are now manufactured.
Many used (even NOS) TDKs including SAs have known issues and don't age well.
BASF chrome ages very well and I buy all I can find.

I also have a Revox B77 but it gets little use.

Naks have a well deserved reputation but others can match them.
The best from Sony, Revox, JVC and Pioneer can produce extremely faithful recordings.
The last cassette deck I had was a Pioneer CT-95, which I bought new after regretfully selling my Nak 1.5. Despite the superlative high fidelity, it never sounded as musically convincing as my Nak did. I'm sort of after a CT-F1000 to go with my C21/M22, but it'll purely serve to add to the collection of TOTL stuff from late 1970s early 1980s silver Pioneers.

James the Nak 1.5 was a nice machine - it also had a bit of an eq anomaly on the r/p (bass lift mainly) that often made it sound "better" than the original. I had two - sold the first, regretted, bought another - and both had this phenomenon. Other Naks were far more neutral, but the 1.5 had something very alluring about its sound. The later DR1 was a comparative disappointment to me.

Anyway, as to big reel decks, the TEACs are nice machines. I am particularly fond of the A-3300S, especially the 2T version. If you want something younger then there are the dual capstan X-10/X-1000/X-2000 series. These were some of the last serious R2R machines available and can sound amazing. However, the tensioners need a bit of tlc and careful adjustment - my X-1000M was a case in point, despite low hours. Then again I have an X-10 that's never been a problem and is faithful and reliable (this my well be offered on PFM soon). The Tascam decks were basically pro versions of the TEACs, and often have lived a harder life, so be careful there.

The Pioneer RT-909 is a thing of beauty, but alas, I've never used one. IIRC there was one for sale on here a few years back - a rare black model no less! I was sorely tempted...

James the Nak 1.5 was a nice machine - it also had a bit of an eq anomaly on the r/p (bass lift mainly) that often made it sound "better" than the original. I had two - sold the first, regretted, bought another - and both had this phenomenon. Other Naks were far more neutral, but the 1.5 had something very alluring about its sound.
I did not know that. How intriguing. But it does explain why I found my 1.5 so engaging.

Anyway, as to big reel decks, the TEACs are nice machines. I am particularly fond of the A-3300S, especially the 2T version. If you want something younger then there are the dual capstan X-10/X-1000/X-2000 series. These were some of the last serious R2R machines available and can sound amazing. However, the tensioners need a bit of tlc and careful adjustment - my X-1000M was a case in point, despite low hours. Then again I have an X-10 that's never been a problem and is faithful and reliable (this my well be offered on PFM soon). The Tascam decks were basically pro versions of the TEACs, and often have lived a harder life, so be careful there.

The Pioneer RT-909 is a thing of beauty, but alas, I've never used one. IIRC there was one for sale on here a few years back - a rare black model no less! I was sorely tempted...
This is filed for future reference. Thanks again.

I have a (non functioning) Sony DATman. Can't see that coming back too soon. In retrospect it was something I shouldn't have bought.

On the subject of dead formats, I ran across this thing yesterday and it took a while to talk myself out of buying it.

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

Still had the wire and reels and cover, and I was assured it was in working order. My dad had one when I was a kid, though his wasn't nearly as fancy as this one.

Found a video of one in action:

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back