advertisement

what nait

I think there's definitely a market for a shoebox size integrated.
It surely wouldn't take much to make - basically the old circuit board with different buttons on the front and a remote sensor.
I can't think of a better value than one of these.

IA-7-gallery-small.gif

The C3 is a superb little amp and I was enjoying hearing one again last weekend at a friends after a good few years.

I also like Cyrus gear (looks better than any Naim amp imo), but sonically the Cyrus-3 doesn't stand a chance next to a Nait-2 or-1!
(had 'em both)
I once demoed a Cyrus-7, next to my Nait-2, and although it came close I still preferred the Nait-2. (eventhough I wish I preferred the Cyrus, because it had a remote and looked much better)

I agree, Alco.

I attended a fun day with friends earlier this year where we had lined up the Cyrus 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and Mono-Xs, all with/without relevant PSXs where they could be added. And my Nait2. This all into Vandersteen 2ces BTW, quite an easy load.

Of all the Cyrus gear I liked the 6-without-PSX most; I clearly preferred the Nait 2 to the 1, 2 and 3. The 6 alone was just little clearer and punchier, like an Onix-OA21 - that's a good thing. Adding the PSU, or moving to the 7, or the monos was like upping the contrast control - more of something, but the result was a tad more unhinged overall at each step. At the Cyrus pinnacle it all sounded a bit like a cinema system - bold , impressive, clear but not remotely expressive IMO.

Hmm... I no longer believe that amplifiers can be expressive but that's getting into a different and wider argument. Just judge them on the sonics, build, facilities and spec :)

A blind test of similar amps using their line inputs into sensitive speakers would be interesting some time. Say Onix OA21, Cyrus3, Nait2 and something like an old A&RA60 would be a good start. My money is on everyone being completely unable to identify specific amp traits or forming any consistent preference.

I quite like the little Naits but IMO they only really justify the money over the integrated competition if you intend using the built in phono stage which is excellent in the Naim. On line it really is nothing special IMO.
If you must have a Nait, the Nait3 is probably the biggest bargain with a little more grunt and less cramped internals.

Rob <born again objectivist>

I'd take the bet I could pick out a shoebox Nait from your list Robert. Done it before, think I'd do it again. Lived with a Nait 1 for 13 yrs, have had my Nait 2 for about 10, and played with many others along the road (including other brands, Naim separates and the other Naits).

Nait 1 vs 2? Not sure I could tell those two apart, but my sense is the 2 has the lead. Very very close however you cut it though. Got an olive Nait 2 w/ linestage (external phono) because it: looks better, controls are lessy noisy than the 1's buttons, looks better, wanted an extra input, looks better, better volume pot esp at low levels, looks better...

I should add that I'm not saying the Naits are superior to the others, simply that I can't imagine confusing a Cyrus for a Nait.

I owned a Mk1 when they first came out & replaced it with the much better Myst TMA3 a little later. I was always subsequently interested to know how powerful it was (Naim were always very coy) and how it would have sounded on some efficient speakers. I recently had the chance to try one again as a friend wanted it checking over.

P1010058.jpg

The amp actually put out 12W per channel into 8 ohms and sounded quite enjoyable into my 3 way, very sensitive, horn speakers. It wouldn't be preferable to something like a Stereo 20 or a pushpull ECL86 amp but it was alot better than I expected it would be. That balance control arrangement was weird though.

The amp actually put out 12W per channel into 8 ohms and sounded quite enjoyable into my 3 way, very sensitive, horn speakers. It wouldn't be preferable to something like a Stereo 20 or a pushpull ECL86 amp but it was alot better than I expected it would be.

That’s about what Naim claimed, 14wpc IIRC. The Nait 2 is about 18wpc or so. They are probably my two favourite Naim products as they do the ‘Naim thing’ very well indeed as long as you can live with their very limited output power. A very nice little amp for 150-250 quid.

Tony.

gregor

Bearing in mind the s/h value of the naits, the servicing will not be cheap. I would reckon around £150 for a full service from Naim, slightly cheaper from an authorised service agent such as Class A. Maybe you should bear this in mind when looking and try and get a recently serviced unit, paying slightly more.

Stuart

I see lots of old Naits for servicing, cost is normally around £85.00. I still run a Nait 2 in my second system, great little amp.

There's a rather handy article in this month's HFW discussing the relative build and sonic merits of the various Naits. I really must try one.

(A pdf of the article is available on the TomTom website).

There never were any '4' series models - in deference to far Eastern markets, where '4' is deemed unlucky (sounds like death in some Chinese dialects, IIRC)

Hi Rob,

What was their conclusion?

Regards,

Mus

Hi Mus,

The 1,2 (CB an Olive), 3 and 5 were all similar in many ways but the reviewer had a slight preference for the 2 & 3 - he seemed to like the Nait 3 best from reading the text.

WARNING - owners of the Nait5i look away now.

The new 5i was describer as being more fined, polished and immediate with better tonal colours :eek:
5i owners appear to have bought a Musical Fidelity in disguise ;)
I predict the Classifieds will soon be flooded with new Naits when the owners cotton-on to this.

Actually it is quite an interesting read. It seems Julian Vereeker designed and voiced the Nait 1, Roy George the 2, 3 and 5 while some new bod named Steve Sells gave birth to the 5i.

There's a rather handy article in this month's HFW discussing the relative build and sonic merits of the various Naits. I really must try one.

(A pdf of the article is available on the TomTom website).

Is there an echo in here?

advertisement

Back