advertisement

What mm cartridge would you recommend?

Mark Packer

All Rev'd up!
It’s my bro in laws 50th. His current Pro-Ject TT gets near daily use. He loves his vinyl but would struggle with an ‘extravagant’ present.

So, I’ve decided to build a TT for him. I now have a NAD Rega P2 clone in excellent condition and an RB300 from PFM. Now I need to fit a cartridge. I have a 2nd hand AT something but don’t know what it is. I plan to use it to test the TT and arm. However I’d like to put something half decent on RB300 before handing it on. It needs to be an mm to work with his amp. I want one with a replaceable stylus. And the replacement stylus needs to be a sensible price. The replacement Goldring 1042 stylus at c. £200 would be too much.

The AT-VM95ML is looking compelling.

However, what would you recommend?

I’d factor in the phono stage too, i.e. check what its capacitance is and choose cart accordingly. The ATs and Ortofons are very good, but can sound very bright into some phono stages as they need to see very low capacitance. MI carts such as Nagaokas and Grados seem easier to match and would bring some warmth if needed.

The AT 95 ML is superb VFM a real peach of a cartridge in the 95 series.Alternatively you could save money and get a 95 E; which is great and upgrade the stylus later as their interchangable.
The AT 95 ML though is much more refined,smoother and better definition and seperation.

I have the 95E and 95ML, both great carts the E is amazing value for money I'd try that and upgrade the stylus later if you need funds for a Stage.

The NAD turntable you've got has an MDF platter, instead of the glass platter on the Planar2 and 3, which sounds a bit duller than the glass ones. I'd say get the best Audio Technica that fits in budget, 110%

Audio Technica carts match budget Regas really well. The Rega Carbon is an AT-3600L and back in the day Rega decks left dealers with AT carts on probably more than any other brand of cart. An AT95, Linn K5, K9, that sort of thing.

Most budget Ortofon carts are too dull sounding for the deck, too dull sounding period if you ask me, but the 2M Red is fine. It has a brighter balance than typical Ortofon but I'd still buy an AT. The 2M Red is twice the price of the VM95e and I'd argue it's not really much better.

The VM95 carts also have a wide range of styluses so he can upgrade or cut costs when the time comes to replace it. I recon a VM95e is probably going to be a good match and they are good value too.

AT VM95ML is really good VFM, remember the Microline stylus not only sounds good but it plays tired records better than you think, and inner groove distortion is almost non existent without faffing with cart alignment too much.

Others worth trying is the discontinued NOS AT440MLA or MLB, and the AT150MLX which is the most refined of the lot. I had an imported AT150Ea which I thought sounded fantastic but a good one is too rare these days.

I have not tried the 440 replacement (the VM540) but may likely be my next cart.

All of the suggestions above are worth consideration. I've tried a few but not all, FWIW I would go for a Garrott Bros P77i if it meets the budget. Their other range the K1 to K3 have a strong following here in Australia.
The P77i has seen off a few carts in my collection including the 2M bronze and black, Nagoaka MP500. Clearly things are system dependent.......

advertisement

Back