advertisement

What media player?

happychappy

Happy Member
Put simply, whats the easiest, most reliable media player to use?

Currently using iTunes on a windows 7 laptop but am again encountering problems of missing files, inability to download certain cd's and general speed issues.

I have had a look at fubar and it scared the pants off of me so am wondering if I should try to stick with iTunes or perhaps give WMA a go, is this a bad idea?

What do you use and why?

Thanks

I've tried a bundle and have ended up with 2 I use regularly

Foobar is one of those, and yes, it does appeal more to the very PC literate or programmer type - although I think the standard interface is pretty OK once you get used to it

iTunes I got rid of pretty quick - I was frustrated by the interface and could not get it to sound good

My other choice is MediaMonkey - sounds good and has a very nice interface, and I use this in preference to Foobar for tagging and general file duties - it's free to download the standard version, so no harm done if you decide you dont like it

Why/how would you use two media players?

Is the "sound leveller" in Media monkey turn on and offable (licks lips in a circular motion)

The best media player on the planet is XBMC it will play most any music and video file currently out there, aiff,alac,flac,obb,mp3,mkv,mp4,VideoTS,AVI

You name it, it does it.

It is however more set up to be used with a remote control such as harmony. I use XBMC on my TV, I have a mac mini connected to the TV and it taps all my music, video and tv shows from my NAS to the TV in glorious technicolor.

Lovely thing so it is, but for the geekish.

happychappy, how've you managed to cock-up iTunes so badly? I've been using it for years on PC's without as much as a single hickup ??

Have you downloaded the latest version.

happychappy, how've you managed to cockup iTunes so badly? Ive been using it for years on PC's without as much as a single hickup ??

He he he, that is what I and a learned computer buff friend want to know.....

Until he pops over next week I wont know the full answer, but without fail it will be something daft I have done, although the last prob was down to Firefox not me, honest!

I do have the latest version of iTunes.

I have a feeling it could be something to do with the network drive that I am using. Don't know why I just do.

One thing that's needs getting to the bottom of without doubt is the problem with certain CD's not loading correctly, they sound like they have been over recorded with mass distortion, i have tried using error correction with no success.

Have you got 'match volume' ticked?

Basically you need to turn everything off except the store, which you need to be logged into to get the free artwork. All EQ setting should be unchecked. if you like i could do a screen print of each tab in the preferences. Also, have you picked 'windows audio session' in QuickTime preferences... and what are your midi players setting set to?

I recently downloaded a thing called HQplayer and it sounds better than foobar but is a bit of a pig of an interface plus won't play all formats. Sound is better though.

Have you got 'match volume' ticked?

Basically you need to turn everything off except the store, which you need to be logged into to get the free artwork. All EQ setting should be unchecked. if you like i could do a screen print of each tab in the preferences. Also, have you picked 'windows audio session' in QuickTime preferences... and what are your midi players setting set to?

Off to check....

If "match volume" is the same as "sound check" then its off

Referring to the midi player settings are you talking about the sample rate? if so its set to 24bit,48000Hz ((studio quality)

Quicktime was set to direct sound, now reset to windows audio session. What does this do?

happychappy, how've you managed to cock-up iTunes so badly? I've been using it for years on PC's without as much as a single hickup ??

My computing life improved when I removed iTunes from Windows. Still run it on a Mac.

Tim

No love for VLC? easy and simple to use.

iTunes is a hog on Windows, trouble is all the products it has to support that's been bolted on. Who needs Apps on a PC when you don't have a iPhone etc.

But it's really slick on the Mac Operating system, a coincidence ?

Has anyone had any problems with media monkey?

Just read on another forum that the chap has had a lot of probs (firewall is one that was mentioned) and is requesting a refund, anyone else had this

Media monkey is a hog, the best I've used in AIMP3 or foobar, foobar is easy to set up and use, keep them simple and light weight.

No love for VLC? easy and simple to use.

iTunes is a hog on Windows, trouble is all the products it has to support that's been bolted on. Who needs Apps on a PC when you don't have a iPhone etc.

But it's really slick on the Mac Operating system, a coincidence ?

Yes, it's really painful on a PC. I couldn't believe the difference when I bought a Macbook (not particularly high spec) and ran it on that...

Outlook is really bad on both, it must be said.

advertisement

Back