advertisement

What Mains Lead

Logic time - why does the cheap, very long run of mains wiring in your wall not negatively impact the sound? How does putting 1.5m of uber-cable on the end of the cheapest mains cable the housebuilder could source suddenly improve the audio output from the device connected to it?
I tend to have an open mind, but need persuasion This is the question that needs answering for me.

MCRU make some great power cables and they appear to be very reasonably priced. I’ve made numerous cables using the Supra stuff, always had good results. RA cables are great too.

Do mains cables make any difference? Well I believe they do, actually quite a significant difference (I must be a loon too then.)

Let your ears do the decision making, try a RA cable and send back if you find yourself to be in the no-difference camp.

I’ve read this, thanks, what a load of stupid marketing nonsense. A good laugh.
No, what you really need to do is replace the transformer’s internal coil wires with better quality OCC copper or silver (brighter sound) and thin SMPS PSU circuit board tracks with something better too. Oh, and that fuse with hair-thin internal wire…:rolleyes:
Let’s be serious please. This will never end.

To determine if a mains cable can make a difference, simply acquire two identical components , dacs are ideal, a standard kettle lead on one and the most expensive nonsense on the other, equalise the volume and switch between them without knowing which you are listening to.
This is the very last thing snake oil manufacturer/dealers want you to do of course.
Keith

To determine if a mains cable can make a difference, simply acquire two identical components , dacs are ideal, a standard kettle lead on one and the most expensive nonsense on the other, equalise the volume and switch between them without knowing which you are listening to.
This is the very last thing snake oil manufacturer/dealers want you to do of course.
Keith

Given their small and comparative constant current demand, I should have thought a DAC would be particularly poor at convincing believers that you are right. Would a current-hungry Krell power amp not be a less obviously inappropriate choice?

As a completely separate point, I am surprised to learn that cable sales people don’t want anyone comparing their cables with existing cables. Is that why some offer cost-free 30 day ( or more) trials, in the hope that their perfidy will obviously be discovered but then the deluded will buy the cables anyway?

Given their small and comparative constant current demand, I should have thought a DAC would be particularly poor at convincing believers that you are right. Would a current-hungry Krell power amp not be a less obviously inappropriate choice?

As a completely separate point, I am surprised to learn that cable sales people don’t want anyone comparing their cables with existing cables. Is that why some offer cost-free 30 day ( or more) trials, in the hope that their perfidy will obviously be discovered but then the deluded will buy the cables anyway?
Because no-one ( hardly any one) ever compares by instantly switching between two level matched components unseen, they unplug one and plug in the other, and expectation bias takes over and an ‘improvement ‘ is imagined.
Unsighted level matched is the only valid method of comparison.
Keith

Is the biggest contributor not corrosion at interface. I just wish that manufacturers used more captive leads, but i suppose that means fitting your correct plug for that country.

My
Is that why some offer cost-free 30 day ( or more) trials, in the hope that their perfidy will obviously be discovered but then the deluded will buy the cables anyway?
They will.
This happened to me once or twice and I thought I could honestly spot the difference. I didn’t buy the things, I resisted. I knew my brain was tricking me into believing in something that wasn’t real.
Or was it my wallet telling me, “Don’t be stupid”?:rolleyes:

Seriously, that’s how placebo works and it’s well-documented.

To the OP. I think there are quite few good, trustworthy and honest cable makers around, and whilst I have never heard any definitely quantifiable differences in sound between a well made 'kettle lead' and something more expensive, on 'finalising' my system, I bought each component a 'good' mains lead, understanding that I'm still frequenting HiFi fora, and these discussions continue.

So, 'decent' mains leads from my favourite maker future proof my system and remove one more nagging doubt.
Which is always good in this hobby.

I nominate Mark Grant cables, and bought 4 of these:

https://www.markgrantcables.co.uk/u...gold-plated-dsp-25-dual-screened-power-cable/

The perfectly valid question of why the last metre of cable can make a difference is addressed here:
https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/why-power-cables-make-a-difference/

I am not saying that I necessarily agree with this, just providing a link to an alternative viewpoint.
Many thanks for this. I will read it later, but the article is on shakey ground by claiming that " Every audiophile who has experimented with better power cables has heard the performance advantage they offer ". if that was the case, we would not be having this discussion. The article is written by a company who manufacture expensive cables, which compromises any objectivity in their argument.

Yes agree that opening statement is ridiculous, and that there is a marketing angle. Take it with a pinch of salt.
Ultimately there is no substitute for trying yourself and making up your own mind.

Yes agree that opening statement is ridiculous, and that there is a marketing angle. Take it with a pinch of salt.
Ultimately there is no substitute for trying yourself and making up your own mind.
I agree, but then you have to admit that you can be fooled into hearing things that are simply non-existent. So… back to the start.

The cables that are supplied with equipment must have some ounce of decency which leads me to believe that people who don’t hear any difference are likely to be comparing with cables that are cheap and probably don’t offer any superior quality.

I’ve got mains cables that cost over £500 a pop and really, they make a huge difference. How I compare is to install a new cable, leave it in place for a month or so then switch back. I’m not trying to find the improvement initially because yes, the brain can play tricks on you. If the improvements are not found, then I’d simply send it back.

If cables (whatever they are for) made no difference, the likes of Chord, Russ Andrews, Nordost would have been out of business a long time ago. Consumers are not stupid enough to just purchase a cable based on what’s written in the manufacturers brochure.

The cables that are supplied with equipment must have some ounce of decency which leads me to believe that people who don’t hear any difference are likely to be comparing with cables that are cheap and probably don’t offer any superior quality.

I’ve got mains cables that cost over £500 a pop and really, they make a huge difference. How I compare is to install a new cable, leave it in place for a month or so then switch back. I’m not trying to find the improvement initially because yes, the brain can play tricks on you. If the improvements are not found, then I’d simply send it back.

If cables (whatever they are for) made no difference, the likes of Chord, Russ Andrews, Nordost would have been out of business a long time ago. Consumers are not stupid enough to just purchase a cable based on what’s written in the manufacturers brochure.
Except, apparently
some are.

advertisement

Back