advertisement

what kit for the aspiring wedding photographer.

If it is hard to make money offering a standard photography service, will a drone service (or any other value-add) increase demand and/or allow you to charge more? It will come down to assessing the investment versus the return. I still think you could do the drone option in the budget but you’d probably need to go down the Nikon or Canon route as has been suggested. Worth checking out the demand for wedding video services in general before investing. I noticed that Damien Mullen does photo-montages - video production of photo shoots basically which look pretty classy and catch the feel of the day well IMO. Stand out from the crowd if you want to be succesful in any business.

I refer back to the 'Isle of Wight' clause.
It's about 12 miles from Portsmouth to Wooton by ferry, and you go back in time 2 years for each mile:)
Drones? Collages? Modern arty photography??????
Nah lad, you must be a grockle. We just want some decent snaps of the happy couple thanks (oh, and grandad's dog, whose always up to something).

Just a quick search on drone rules gave:

"......according to UK laws regulated by the Civil Aviation Authority, consumer drones (classed as those that weigh under 20kg) must be flown no higher than 400 feet (120 metres), and be kept at least 50 metres away from people and private property, and 150 metres from congested areas and organised open-air assemblies of more than 1,000 people."

For many churches and reception locations that'll mean no commercial drone flying. And, of course, if you're flying a drone you're not taking stills. If you pay an assistant, you're bleeding cash.

or, as the thread says...the assistant is a partner and free and drones are not required on the IOW.
When I were a lad, people read threads before answering.
Mind, that was the 50's and there were no threads (1930 on the IOW :)
except ofc homespun woolen yarns.
and a yarn, as everyone knows is a thread of a tale and even maybe a thread from a tail.

ok Ill stop if you promise to read the flippin thread. :)

Which is great until the mother in law sees the expensive photographer flying a toy around the grounds, then starts picking holes in the photographs that the assistant took.

You've never been to the Isle of Wight have you :) First clue. Everybody at the wedding, inc the photographer, will be someone's cousin. Pecking order worked out decades back. Everyone knows where they stand. Your scenario doesn't exist.

advertisement

Back