advertisement

What is the net zero CO2 level?

Dan,

I imagine all options are being considered when threatened by a global catastrophic risk, but what a risky experiment that would be to mitigate another risky global experiment.

Joe

The temperature finally plummeted. It’s +8C today.

I should be shovelling snow but I may need to mow the grass this winter.

Joe

This will not be a surprise to anyone who tuned into the climate news this year, but 2023 is the hottest year on record and not just by a bit.

1PA5ziW.jpg

The prediction for 2024 is that it will be another temperature record-breaking year, surpassing 2023. Looks like more lawn mowing in December next year, too.

Joe

This will not be a surprise to anyone who tuned into the climate news this year, but 2023 is the hottest year on record and not just by a bit.

1PA5ziW.jpg

The prediction for 2024 is that it will be another temperature record-breaking year, surpassing 2023. Looks like more lawn mowing in December next year, too.

Joe

Not surprised in the slightest. Would be interesting to overlay that graphic with global human population.

Ponty,

More revealing -- and damning -- is an average global temp vs atmospheric CO2 concentration plot. Focusing on population is a get-out-of-jail free card for the developed world, which has little population growth but is responsible for most CO2 emissions.

C0ANPga.jpg

Joe

Yes, it may be a get out of jail card, but more people = more co2 produced. Then when you consider the quest of much of the developing world to live developed world lifestyles, thereby producing even more co2, things are looking dicey. Just basic things like food and clothing production, or the construction and running of accommodation and infrastructure, let alone luxuries such as personal transport, foreign holidays and excess consumerism.

Ponty,

You remind me of the people who say they are stuck in traffic, rather than admitting they are traffic.

Lost count of the number of visits. Chopper to and land at the bottom of the Grand Canyon with papillon is a must do. The bar at the top of Palms is excellent, fab view back to the strip at night. The terrace at mon ami gabi is nice for lunch, you can watch the fountains at the Bellagio opposite. Been to so many great bars and restaurants, down to budget really. Not been post covid so dread to think now. Don’t forget old Vegas. You’ll be goosed after 4 days, that’s for sure.

At least have the intellectual honesty to admit that you -- just like me -- are part of the problem, and that its solution is not up to others.

Joe

Ponty,

You remind me of the people who say they are stuck in traffic, rather than admitting they are traffic.

At least have the intellectual honest to admit that you -- just like me -- are part of the problem, and that its solution is not up to others.

Joe

Of course I’m part of the problem, I wouldn’t dream of suggesting otherwise. We all are, without question.

It’s really depressing but population reduction is the real answer even though it’s incredibly unrealistic to think the world can work together to achieve it. What we are doing now is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic…. We outsource our manufacturing to China..by this I mean we buy lots of stuff from them instead of making it ourselves so we export CO2 creation to China in return. For heavens sake we even buy EVs from China. We could go back to subsistence living but that’s even more unrealistic than population reduction but one of these options will be the ultimate outcome.

It's a double whammy, because not only do we export all our manufacturing to China but they burn coal to make it all.

I think all would say we are not moving anywhere near fast enough. Sadly with each passing year it’s going to be harder and harder to dig ourselves out of this mess.

Dan

I think we will be just fine. Over the last 50 years, how many of the environmental doom predictions have come true? None.

It’s really depressing but population reduction is the real answer even though it’s incredibly unrealistic to think the world can work together to achieve it. What we are doing now is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic…. We outsource our manufacturing to China..by this I mean we buy lots of stuff from them instead of making it ourselves so we export CO2 creation to China in return. For heavens sake we even buy EVs from China. We could go back to subsistence living but that’s even more unrealistic than population reduction but one of these options will be the ultimate outcome.

We are nowhere near needing population reduction. Is the current atmospheric CO2 causing climate change that is having a material impact on life? No.

We are nowhere near needing population reduction. Is the current atmospheric CO2 causing climate change that is having a material impact on life? No.
Apart from the shifting monsoon patterns in Asia wrecking the rice and grain harvests, the droughts in US and Canada etc. The worldwide food production is in chaos this year.

For heavens sake we even buy EVs from China.

I’ve suddenly noticed lots of TV adverts for ‘BYD’. UK consumers will lap them up because they’re ‘cheap’. Well, as long as folk ignore the coal being burned and the effective funding of a communist state, which they will….

advertisement

Back