advertisement

What is a Linn LP12 and when does it stop being an LP12.

50307808201_2cf5b19a93_b.jpg

Here’s mine! It has to be an LP12 as I’m a member of the Facebook LP12 group.

Hi,

To be more precise about what the thread question is I did say in my original post at the start that I specifically excluded arm and cartridge, I said they were what the buyer would want.

As @Vinny says it is the TURNTABLE only that is being defined here as an LP12.

The definition of an LP12 in this context therefore is what Linn produce and that does not include and arm and cartridge in whatever form of LP12 it is, original, Klimax, Akurate or Majik.

So it does not matter what arm and cartridge is on it those are not structural modifications to the LP12 turntable, but any non Linn motor system would be classed as modification.

Cheers

John

Maybe there should be a term used to identify decks that started life as an LP12 that has then had the structure modified and therefore becomes something other than a basic Linn LP12, I am sure there are many possible terms

The Linn Basturd #2 ?

I love the fact that it's being compared with a Rembrandt! It's a mass produced item, built to a cost. Take the bottom off, have a look inside, and see what you are getting. A Rembrandt? Hardly. It's Tracey Emin's grubby bed complete with discarded condoms and soiled tissues.

I can recreate TE's bed, all I have to do is neglect to do any laundry. Same with an LP12. In addition, what's an Lp12? Pre corner brace? Basik or Valhalla? Laminated armboard? Cirkus?

An LP12 is a high quality mass produced item that has been made to a variety of specifications for 47 years. That's all. It's not a work of art or a mystical creation that has been honed for centuries. It's a record player.

Is that a Tangerine top plate? Looks clean without the cross brace, is that not necessary with the Radikal.
I believe that David has a stiletto, a bit marmite, people either rave or loath with not much in between. In fairness, the ravers probably outnumber the loathers by a fair bit. I’m a loather as I didn’t like the sound at all. But there you go, my room, my rig, my ears and all that.

I believe that David has a stiletto, a bit marmite, people either rave or loath with not much in between. In fairness, the ravers probably outnumber the loathers by a fair bit. I’m a loather as I didn’t like the sound at all. But there you go, my room, my rig, my ears and all that.
You have to be careful with the top plate. I have the Khan and tightening the bolts too tight kills the sound.

You have to be careful with the top plate. I have the Khan and tightening the bolts too tight kills the sound.
Yes indeed. Unfortunately, as the stiletto was on trial I was forbidden to touch it in any way at all! So I don’t know how it was all bolted together, but it was set up by a reputable dealer.

I’m a loather as I didn’t like the sound at all.

I know what you mean, I have heard it sound awful in demonstrations. There’s a definite learning curve .

The stiletto takes a bit of accommodation as what worked for the standard deck doesn’t necessarily work here.

The biggest potential pitfall is the support, as the stiletto is quite a bit heavier and requires a substantial/compatible solution.

Once appropriately installed however its absolutely marvellous, explosive dynamics, and rock solid timing.

I would say it's absolutely not an LP12 though. It's LP12 compatible. But if you like it, that's brilliant!

advertisement

Back