advertisement

what happen if somebody says:

timeout

ignorance is bliss
your '$2000' loudspeaker is better sounding than the '$6000'

your '$4000' amplifier is better sounding than the '12000'

:p

I wouldn't be particularly surprised.

As with cars, the sweet-spot in a manufacturer's range isn't always at the top.

isn't sad. after doing some much thinking and hard decision. all the more, it was commented by non-audiophile

Depends on the context. If it was a total stranger on the street, I'd walk away.

If they added the words "The difference was night and day" I'd assume they were contributors to the WHSAV forum and have them quietly certified.

Depends on the context. If it was a total stranger on the street, I'd walk away.

If they added the words "The difference was night and day" I'd assume they were contributors to the WHSAV forum and have them quietly certified.

yes, but only if they added "...and there's also an inky blackness between notes" :D

It happens all the time. So much of our perception of "sound quality" is minor differences propped up by expectation.

Thats always interesting, when on occasion I read a 'review' of an ultra high priced piece of kit, and the reviewer actually finds things not quite perfect about the sound.

Thats insane! For that kind of bucks, it better be damn near perfect! I have read many reviews of affordable components with even better results!

What happens is the truth is finally being told! This quality of the sound in any given living room has more to do with the audiophile than the amount of money spent!

And that is the way it is................

Louballoo

While if it was another audiophile commented I would have shrugged it off as another

But it was somebody whom doesn't care about the branding.

the more expensive speaker is more full body and register better musical notes, unfortunately it is bigger than the cheaper speaker. It bloom which the cheaper doesnt.

Matching speaker against room is important

Depends on who has said it, and what manufacturer has made the relevant components referred to in the comment.

I think the person who spent money on the expensive thing will get Buyers Remorse is it.

You see it a lot here and there.

DS

Thats always interesting, when on occasion I read a 'review' of an ultra high priced piece of kit, and the reviewer actually finds things not quite perfect about the sound.

Thats insane! For that kind of bucks, it better be damn near perfect! I have read many reviews of affordable components with even better results!

There is no such thing as 'perfect' or 'near-perfect' hifi. Everything is a series of compromises. The more expensive, the fewer or less significant the compromises, hopefully, but I think the job of a review in such circumstances is to point out where the compromises are, so the reader can decide how well the designer's decisions match their own particular priorities.

I would say the somebody might be on to something, or might be completely off base. It's hard to tell.

It's a fallacy to assign an inverted appeal to authority to the 'innocent party', even though they don't have a chip in the game. Someone with no interest or experience in a topic is likely to be unbiased, but that doesn't mean their decision-making skills in that topic are better, just under-developed.

Under-developed tastes tend to be more strongly flavoured, the subtleties of the topic revealing themselves to a more refined palette over time. It's why photographers discovering the joys of photoshop too often go through that early stage where everything is cropped too tight, over-sharpened and over-saturated. It's why wine drinkers have to go through the Bull's Blood phase. And it's why so many home cinema first-timers seem to shout, "I've got a subwoofer and I'm damn well going to use it!"

However, there are many incidences of the cheaper product being the better product (you have to spend a great deal of money to get an intrinsically better sound than you get from an inexpensive Rega or NAD+PSB system, for example) and more expensive components that appear to be on a forlorn quest to find the perfect partner, failing to give their all until all the boxes are ticked (Wilson Audio is a fine example of this: the Duette and Sophia are relatively easy to install and drive, and as a result sound good in all but the most inhospitable settings: the same cannot be said of the Sasha W/P and the MAXX 3. Ultimately, the bigger Wilson speakers can deliver a better overall performance, but they are considerably more demanding of room and system). So, I wouldn't discount the suggestion that the cheaper equipment did sound better, after all.

There is also a trend for some very expensive equipment to be objectively worse than far cheaper kit. It's trivially simple to make a good case for a £300 NAD amplifier being far more capable at the core function of simply amplifying the signal than say £40k of AN electronics.
Leaving aside issues of bias in listening tests, I'm firmly of the view that many audiophiles prefer not to have a transparent component. They prefer a distorted version of reality. This isn't a criticism of such a standpoint, merely an observation that it seems to exist and is more common than we think.

It feels slightly perverse that reversing 'excellence' invariably attracts a higher price tag.

(1) The reference to price is irrelevant to the sound quality judgement and (2) its always system dependent with speaker/power amplifier interfaces so the comparison is meaningless.

advertisement

Back