advertisement

What goes around, comes around

Stunsworth

pfm Member
30 years ago I had a Quad 44/405. Sold it later when I went Audio Research/EAR.

Today I've just bought a 405 to power the office system on eBay. They'll be driving a pair of Monitor Audio MA4s.

I think this is the hifi equivalent of a grown up buying Dinky toys <grin>

Opps, if Tony wants to move this to the 'classic' forum I have no objections.

I'm thinking of looking for a pair of Monitor Audio 252's to have a play with - my first ever 'real' speakers - pure nostalgia !

I find I remember past systems/components more favourably than the odd occasion I revisit them.

Best system in my distant memory was maggies , fed by an Ariston Rd11e TT and using some monster TEAC pre (pa7) and amps (ma7) (they made good stuff in that era).. heard a similar system a few years ago and was somewhat disappointed and underwhelmed ..however when I did own that system , I was a student at varsity and was most often under the influence of the "holy herb" which might have affected things.....

A friend of mine once said after reading the tagline "The closest approach to the original sound"

"I wouldn't like to sit in front of the original sound after hearing that"

Which is all the odder as whenever I play people a full Quad system into ELS63s they comment on how it sounds nothing like the detractors would have them believe.
Most go on to buy some Quad for themselves.

Which is all the odder as whenever I play people a full Quad system into ELS63s they comment on how it sounds nothing like the detractors would have them believe.
Most go on to buy some Quad for themselves.

That's exactly what I did after I last came to visit you, Rob! :)

I'm thinking of looking for a pair of Monitor Audio 252's to have a play with - my first ever 'real' speakers - pure nostalgia !

This might not matter, but I get the impression that the model one up in the range. The R352 was a much better speaker.

Simon

Hi Les -

What do you think of the Quad ESL 57's?

Not looking to argue -- just interested in your opinion. I recently scatched a long time itch, and bought a pair that was restored by Wayne Piquet.

Thanks.

Hook

This might not matter, but I get the impression that the model one up in the range. The R352 was a much better speaker.

Simon

If a set came up locally - then I might take the plunge just to try them out - but they are big ol' boxes :D

Simon

Both the R252 and R352 were Robin Marshall designs for MA and both were well received and successful. In both cases you got a beautifully veneered box (R252V excepted) and great sound for the money. R252 was the better balanced of the two - particularly after the revison that took place early on - the R352 could sound great but also the bass could sometimes get a little wayward at times, doubtless thanks to that big box and the port. I ran R252s at Uni and then R352s. I still have them although they're not currently being used. In the right room with the right amp (R252s in particular like something like CB Naim), they can sound really good and the best bit is that they are still under-rated so can be found cheap. Hifi World did an interesting Olde Worlde piece on the R352s some years back, which is doubtless available to read somewhere on the 'net.

Thanks Mignum, a superb description of their history there. :)

I really enjoyed my 252's and they lasted an awful long time in my system, so I'm keen to revisit them if a nice set come up for sale. I remember at the time auditioning quite a few pairs of speakers including Mordaunt Short MS20, Heybrook HB1's etc. I only sold mine due to space restrictions of living in rented shared accommodation after University - and they were a lovely walnut veneer finish too.

Thanks BY. Yes, I recall auditioning them against B&W DM110s, Heybrook HB1s and a couple of others. I so wanted to like the HB1s - they were very exciting - but that top end just had a habit of taking your head off every now and then. The R252s were almost as much fun but a touch safer and smoother up top so I bought them along with a NAD amp.

Robert, 63s are vile loudspeakers - no ability to move air and no treble.

Seriously, having heard your products your biased opinions with an obvious agenda are of no value and are detrimental to anyone who values an honest opinion..

Seriously, having heard your products your biased opinions with an obvious agenda are of no value and are detrimental to anyone who values an honest opinion..

I think that's a little unfair on Les. He's entitled to hold and express opinions just as much as the rest of us and the bias and agenda you accuse him of (if it exists) has not prevented many from enjoying his products and advice.

John (who has never owned or heard either Quad or Avondale products)

Robert, 63s are vile loudspeakers - no ability to move air and no treble.

That's probably the funniest thing I've seen on a forum in a decade.

I think that's a little unfair on Les. He's entitled to hold and express opinions just as much as the rest of us and the bias and agenda you accuse him of (if it exists) has not prevented many from enjoying his products and advice.

Sorry, it isn't acceptable when it's factually wrong. Not that such people are concerned with facts.

If you look really hard at this plot of my 63, you can just about make out some treble ;)
Clue for the unenlightened, it's on the right of the graph:

63.jpg

Today I've just bought a 405 to power the office system on eBay. They'll be driving a pair of Monitor Audio MA4s.

Got a nice pair of MA4s in this office, must be nearly 30 years old and still going well, i did fry the tweeters 20 years ago but got Wilmslow replacements.
REL sub uner the desk and amp is an old Pioneer tuner.
All sounds good

Quad ELS 63 are definately not vile speakers but they do lack bass & treble., I know because I used them from when they first appeared. However IMO electrostatics are overated, in fact I can not listen to the more highly regarded 57's due to their beaming effect thatmany do not even notice. Best speakers for most music that are effective without annoying sub-woofers is a good TLS
and I strongly recommend the latest Focalstage floorstander successor to the Aurousal VSx which are so much better than their reviews.

advertisement

Back