advertisement

What funny speakers you have!

And yet you choose to skirt over the rapier like wit that is my Canada Dry pun.....
Sorry, cooky.

BTW, didn't know that you can get Canada Dry in the UK. Did Thrills gum ever make it big there?

2020597531_637e6c478e.jpg

Joe

£130k? Having a laugh. For that I'd want Bob Dylan settling down in the front room with his guitar (i'll give him free drinks) and Kylie upstairs in the bedroom waiting for a jolly good sorting out when Bob's finished playing.:D

As others have said, response in room is what counts. If it has the grin inducing factor and the "wow, he's *in the room*" then I don't care a toss what the graphs show.

Rob, you keep popping up here and your aganda is clear, of course full range speakers are important but that's not to say smaller speakers can't be very musical.

You seem to pick a new angle to gather info to push your product, I don't think the crowd here is that fickle.

I think you as a trader should peddle your wares in the trade room.

Personally I think this is an honest question. IMHO size isn't always the answer. My WB Arcs are small stand mounts, they have 7" drivers but have and open field response of 42hz +/- 3db which in room can go allot lower

Spendors Sp2/3 (with 210 mm woofer) have a frequency response of 60 Hz to 20 Khz + / - 3db anechoic and a typical in-room response of 50hz at -3db. I dont think any bass reflex or closed boxes can reach much lower than this and maintain good efficiency without larger drivers and enclosures. Even if the loudspeakers can reproduce it, a 20 Hz wave lenght is over 56 feet long.

I've got a variety of speakers and all of them seem to reproduce the instruments on my records just fine, don't think I'm missing any of them.

I just don't understand how these two statements are linked. To reproduce the sound of a violin you need a violin, not a loudspeaker. A loudspeaker reproduces the impression of a violin which must be approximate, starting form the fact that the recording process itself introduces inaccuracy. In an orchestral recording, it's possible that some instruments don't make it to the vinyl groove (or digital bits) just because they aren't picked up by the microphones.

Speaking of orchestral music (and other so called classical music), surely the point of a hifi system is that it creates an illusion, but an essential part of the illusion is that it shouldn't appear to be an illusion.

As it happens, yesterday evening I was listening to literally the best sounding system I have ever heard, where the illusion was so compellingly recreated I really felt I was listening to (a) Vivaldi played in the Academy of St Martins in the field and (b) Belshazzar's Feast performed in Kingsway Hall. But it was the delicacy of the former performance and the visceral excitement of the latter which was so truthfully reproduced. Given the quality of the system I'm sure it satisfied pitchwise. But would it have mattered to my emotional response to the music if it hadn't?

Jeremy, what system were you listening to that did a good job of recreating the acoustic of St Martins in the field?!
Because id like a system that can convey that kind of emotion intact!

sq225917
I think you get the point,by using your Rel with the es14's, you can achieve a rull range sound, I have heard a lot of so called 'Full Range' speakers over £5k, that will not sound anywhere near as deep and rich as your set-up, I think that is the point Rob is trying to make..............anyway let's just enjoy the music........for me that means 'FULL RANGE'

Jeremy, what system were you listening to that did a good job of recreating the acoustic of St Martins in the field?!
Because id like a system that can convey that kind of emotion intact!
Linn LP12 SE, Naim NAC552, Adam Tensor Alphas. Thanks to Norman and Ian at Ultimate.

My computer speakers have a sub available for them. It's £39.99 from maplins.

It says it goes to 30hz.

If I get that, will I have high-end audio on my computer?

as the speakers I am talking about are typically in excess of £4k a pair I think people should be expecting a lot more from what they buy.

As a minimum I think any speakers at this price should be at least be able to reproduce the sound of almost every instrument. As such I would expect the technical response of any speaker to show that it plays at least 40Hz- 20 KHz +/- 3db free field response.

Every competent speaker knows its brass from its oboe. Mine keep me grooving for considerably less than £4k. :)

It can be done, but it's seriously expensive.

I had a client yesterday who is a film producer and recently sat in front of the Royal Philiharmonic for the production of his latest movie. His exact words were that the system he heard was better than being sat in front of the orchestra. I have had many other "expert" clients who have made similar comments. This is the system he was reffering to http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/Music_Systems-32.aspx.

Another thread is banished to the trade room to die a lonely death.

It doesnt have to be seriously expensive, just well designed. http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

Im still fairly amazed that any hifi can make a fair stab at reproducing the acoustic of St Martin in the Fields, last time i was there it was only a brief visit, some young musicians were rehearsing with Ivor Setterfield as the conductor, the way they were playing can only be described as totally magic! if you can recreated that or get close to it, that's pretty special.

Rob for most people, the discussion of a very expensive system is a moot point, even a system that comes in at over £10,000 is to much for most people.
What manufacturers should be doing is using good design and economies of scale to produce a modular system, something like an active Sub/sat system 2.1 or 2.2, that will give you 90% of the performance of a Top tier speaker for 20% of the cost.

advertisement

Back