advertisement

what ever happened to 'please' and 'thank you'?

Gotek

pfm Member
I own a newsagents so come into contact with lots of different ages and nationalities every day.

The one common thread that links at least 50% of them is a total lack of manners.

Few say the magic words anymore.

Age is no barrier but it is most prevalent amongst the young and immigrants. People say that the Polish/Czechs etc. cannot speak English so they do not say anything. Crap. When I go to France, or wherever, I learn to say please and thank you before I go. It is just good manners.

Maybe this is a local thing because of where we are but we have noticed a steep decline in manners and good behaviour generally over the last 8 years whilst at the same time a steep rise in the fumes of wacky backy. Maybe they are related?

Maybe the use of the word 'Sweet' makes up for it.

Nothing worse then a grown man saying bloody 'sweet' to you instead of thank you.

Our resident 'Language evolves' adherents will no doubt see that as an excuse.

I remember seeing somewhere years ago where some middle Eastern/(Arab?) societies could actually see please and thank you as sarcastic, because the assumption was that hospitality etc., was freely given. Dunno if I got that right.

"Young people today, they got no respect, dunno what the world's coming to, really I don't." Copyright a gentleman of middle years, circa 1946, 1956, 66 (especially then), 76, 86 (some of them wander about in MAKEUP can you believe), 96 (continued on page 94).

"Please" and "thank you" went the same way as "good morning" and "may I help you?"

One of the pleasures of shopping - indeed life in general - in places like France and Germany is the exchange of formal civilities. They help oil the wheels of social intercourse.

The English have turned into an ugly boorish and ill mannered people. Unlike Eastern Europeans we don't even have the privations of forty years of communism to blame.

I may be getting old (OK, I am) but one change I can't adopt is the "Hi Steve" at the top of every email. I make a point of using "good morning" or similar.

Just back from Krackow where the typical reply to any request is 'of course', sweet.

You have the right to be serviced but not the responsibility to thank those who provide you with the service. Alas a common thought amongst some, no such thing as society?

.....The one common thread that links at least 50% of them is a total lack of manners.......

I believe there to be a general decline in manners, courtesy, respect and politeness. It seems to occur at any interactions between people today and I kinda see people being more selfish in their ways.

I probably notice it more whilst in the car. I regularly see people operating their vehicles with no regard to others. People parking with no regard or concern for how others can pass safely. What I mean by that is people double parking or parking on busy main roads opposite other parked cars thereby restricting traffic from being able to pass both ways. Down residential streets, cars parked opposite each other so tight that cars can barely fit through let alone bigger vehicles like ambulances, fire engines etc. Cars parked opposite junctions making it difficult for those exiting the junction in question, people still using their mobile phones whilst driving, people texting or reading the screen......and the list goes on.

I remember when people used to wait until traffic had passed before trying to enter/exit a vehicle on the road side of the car but now, they just walk out, open their door(s) and make traffic brake/stop for them......and they don't hurry either. People seem to indicate less, don't put their lights on in bad visual conditions.... I mean, that recent 130 car pile up happened where I live and some reported drivers having no lights on in extremely foggy conditions as a possible cause of the crash and its extremities. So what with most local people knowing at least one person involved, you would have thought this might have changed people's habits but I've been out in heavy driving rain and light fog a couple of times since and would put around 50% of cars still not putting their lights on let alone thinking of fog lights.

I guess people are so wrapped up in their own world, they seem to not give any due consideration to others and/or how their actions affects others around them.

I believe there to be a general decline in manners, courtesy, respect and politeness. It seems to occur at any interactions between people today and I kinda see people being more selfish in their ways.

I probably notice it more whilst in the car. I regularly see people operating their vehicles with no regard to others. People parking with no regard or concern for how others can pass safely. What I mean by that is people double parking or parking on busy main roads opposite other parked cars thereby restricting traffic from being able to pass both ways. Down residential streets, cars parked opposite each other so tight that cars can barely fit through let alone bigger vehicles like ambulances, fire engines etc. Cars parked opposite junctions making it difficult for those exiting the junction in question, people still using their mobile phones whilst driving, people texting or reading the screen......and the list goes on.

I remember when people used to wait until traffic had passed before trying to enter/exit a vehicle on the road side of the car but now, they just walk out, open their door(s) and make traffic brake/stop for them......and they don't hurry either. People seem to indicate less, don't put their lights on in bad visual conditions.... I mean, that recent 130 car pile up happened where I live and some reported drivers having no lights on in extremely foggy conditions as a possible cause of the crash and its extremities. So what with most local people knowing at least one person involved, you would have thought this might have changed people's habits but I've been out in heavy driving rain and light fog a couple of times since and would put around 50% of cars still not putting their lights on let alone thinking of fog lights.

I guess people are so wrapped up in their own world, they seem to not give any due consideration to others and/or how their actions affects others around them.

As population density increases you will see even more. People will revert to using their teeth as weapons.

advertisement

Back