advertisement

What does it take to get rid of the digital haze?!

You’re probably using one of those amazing raspi hat systems that renders all expensive hifi irrelevant.
I use two sources. I do have a pi 4 with Screen playing through my Sabre Dac. I do use this when I want a wider range content and flexibility using LMS and Material Skin. It offers all the quality I need and is a very satisfying listen. It doesn’t look like a very expensive streamer but it measures well in comparison and has a better remote and server than most. It is amazing for the price but I can’t say it is better than a multi thousand pound Linn etc. I bet it’s close though as the incremental differences are very small and you can get closer still if you want to use add ins. I also use the internal streamer of my Yammy. The remote is more limited than Material Skin but the sound quality is up there. And it renders excellent detail which is enhanced by the Maggies I use. In have a decent vinyl set up as well and I love both equally. The sources bring different characteristics to the plate but are equally satisfying.

Exactly my point, the record should be on the back foot every step of the way.
Well, no. I listen to a lot of stuff from the 60s and reissues on digital don't meet the standard of contemporary vinyl. I think this is a combination of unavailability or deterioration of the original 1/4" master. There are also examples of poor interpretation of EQ when mastering to digital but not so much now.

Where the original is digital, CD is invariably more dynamic and clear, albeit I do like the sound of vinyl.

Having a couple of thousand classical LPs it's lovely to hear the ones I have which date back to the olden days sounding as good as they can. But I'm not naive enough to really think that a recording created for CD will sound better on vinyl, other than that the medium does add warmth and can sound astonishingly good.

I remember the early '70s. For a record deck all that was important was correct speed, rumble, wow and flutter. Arms had to be as light as possible and cartridges have high trackabiity. I stopped listening to my 401, SME3009 and Shure V15 III, it was boring. Cue Linn LP12 which was much more dynamic.

And how many people changed from an LP12 to a 401 because it was more dynamic as suggested by a quick google?

I remember that cleaning the dust off of records was not recommended, the heavier arms and MC cartridges cleaned the records. Certainly with the LP12 and Ittok clicks were almost banished.

Have you got a link to advice of this kind from a manufacturer such as Linn? I am not disputing it was given but more curious to find out and document just how far things went after I dropped an interest in home audio.

And how many people changed from an LP12 to a 401 because it was more dynamic as suggested by a quick google?

Have you got a link to advice of this kind from a manufacturer such as Linn? I am not disputing it was given but more curious to find out and document just how far things went after I dropped an interest in home audio.

I bought much more Jazz and Rock/pop when I got the LP12 and the rumble had gone. The awful Shure V15III cart was a source of disatisfaction. I went to VMS20e Ortophon and things began to boogie.:)

The don't clean the record thing was part of the flat earth folklore. I don't think it was a Linn recommendation but it was of that era. I used a diskmask system, pouring goo over the LP, waiting for it to dry then peeling it off. This cleaned the muck out of the groove even with brand new LPs. Any later dust on the record was ignored, not willing to grind it in.

So a PFM member creates a thread on Saturday with a mildly controversial and ambiguous question. It generates 3 pages of responses (some thoughtful) from other members. Meanwhile the OP never returns to clarify his statement or reply to any of the responses. Is this trolling?

So a PFM member creates a thread on Saturday with a mildly controversial and ambiguous question. It generates 3 pages of responses (some thoughtful) from other members. Meanwhile the OP never returns to clarify his statement or reply to any of the responses. Is this trolling?
Precisely. I'm still wondering what digital haze might be. Perhaps it's a poor quality source and/or low bitrates.

They do seem to have run for it!

The don't clean the record thing was part of the flat earth folklore. I don't think it was a Linn recommendation but it was of that era. I used a diskmask system, pouring goo over the LP, waiting for it to dry then peeling it off. This cleaned the muck out of the groove even with brand new LPs. Any later dust on the record was ignored, not willing to grind it in.
I clearly remember my Linn dealer (Cleartone in Bolton) recommending leaving a dirty looking record that way and letting the stylus dig the dust out of the groove. Subsequently the stylus would be cleaned (with green abrasive paper, naturally). The carbon fibre-type record cleaners or cloths were shunned because they were thought to merely press the dirt further into the groove.

These days I use a exstatic brush on my records. I can't say I am troubled any more or less by surface noise than I ever was.

Deliberately provocative I thought, as well as dim.

Possibly but he had also received an almost wholly negative response until last night. If he was wanting to have a chat about the unpleasantness of digital with like-minded folk rather than arguing the toss with unbelievers then what was there to reply to?

Possibly but he had also received an almost wholly negative response until last night. If he was wanting to have a chat about the unpleasantness of digital with like-minded folk rather than arguing the toss with unbelievers then what was there to reply to?

So you didn't detect any hyperbole in the post then? A dentist's drill? I can't imagine a modern digital source that would be that bad. The wording of the OP seems (to me) like it was intended to get a rise out of those who enjoy digital sources.

So you didn't detect any hyperbole in the post then? A dentist's drill? I can't imagine a modern digital source that would be that bad. The wording of the OP seems (to me) like it was intended to get a rise out of those who enjoy digital sources.
Exactly that I think. Drop the grenade and run.

advertisement

Back