advertisement

What does it mean to you to be English?

Nowadays it's rather a mess without apparent direction and the main export/world contribution seems to be morons behaving badly, while "importing" more and more junk from around the world who are then given more rights than the *indigenous folk, with that I most definitely *include the previous swathes of hard working, law abiding and contributive immigrants that have made England their home, flourished and are abundantly welcome.
"Junk from around the world"? Who is that? "who are then given more rights"? No. Don't believe what you read in the right-wing hate papers.

English is the lingua franca.
Indeed, but largely consequential upon our colonial and global discovery days rather than the language itself, I feel. However, I'd say that English has the greatest number of ways to pronounce and utter it. I could be on sticky ground here when I consider China and India, but at least this must be true on a global reach scale.

I take it all back this is what it means to be English.

Upon returning from a display flight one Farnborough air show the pilot of a Vulcan bomber was written up for having performed a barrel roll in said bomber.

The charge, "flying in a manner unbecoming a bomber pilot."

That's the most English thing I've ever heard.

No one's denying you anything. It's just a conversation with people giving their individual perspectives.
And that's what I'm doing, giving my perspective.
I didn't say anyone on here, was, denying me anything, it's just a general statement, a conversation even, of the way the English are and have been portrayed in the world, because they've focused on the minority lowlife activists.
Why so provocative?

This topic was raised during 2016+ Brexit threads. It didn't seem to get any traction then, even though Brexit seems quintessentially an expression about English identity. What’s the difference between British and English identity, would a continental European spot it?

This topic was raised during 2016+ Brexit threads. It didn't seem to get any traction then, even though Brexit seems quintessentially an expression about English identity. What’s the difference between British and English identity, would a continental European spot it?
Often not. I remember at one work do in Basel, the wife of the big boss approaching our American secretary, her husband and myself and saying in a very learned fashion, "Aha, you are all Anglo-Saxons here!" and looking very perplexed when I said, "No." I had to explain to here that I come from Ireland and am therefore Celtic. My secretary and her husband? She was the product of a Hungarian Jew and a Polish Jew, her husband the product of two Czech Jews - she couldn't have found a less Anglo-Saxon group if she tried.

There's also confusion betweeen the UK and Great Britain. I've had to explain many times that I do not come from Great Britain. And if I speak in my very non-American accent, it is automatically assumed that I'm English.

I wouldn't say that Tommy Robinson was a typical English person.
If he is proud of this country I wouldn't let it rub off on me.

Typically English I always think of Morris Dancers.
Not usually right wing. Usually social workers, teachers, probation officers and the like.

I wouldn't say that Tommy Robinson was a typical English person.
If he is proud of this country I wouldn't let it rub off on me.

Typically English I always think of Morris Dancers.
Not usually right wing. Usually social workers, teachers, probation officers and the like.
From what I can make of TR, he's scared of losing, what he sees, as his England. Its not so much, immigrants, as high concentrations of them, thereby squeezing out, his England.
He may, or may not, have a point. My point would be, that, I would like to think, we can all live together in England. That requires give and take on both sides.
I think religion is more to blame than the colour of someones skin

If I buy Heinz baked beans in France, its 1.80 euros, a tin. Thats why I like being English, we know how to eat:)

From what I can make of TR, he's scared of losing, what he sees, as his England. Its not so much, immigrants, as high concentrations of them, thereby squeezing out, his England.
He may, or may not, have a point. My point would be, that, I would like to think, we can all live together in England. That requires give and take on both sides.
I think religion is more to blame than the colour of someones skin
When you have a multipy convicted violent fraudster given a place in public discourse about race and immigration or being soft peddled on a forum, you have a problem, knowwarramean? Think you do.

If I buy Heinz baked beans in France, its 1.80 euros, a tin. Thats why I like being English, we know how to eat:)
I just checked my local Tesco Metro.

£1.55 a tin of Heinz baked beans.

Hold on. When did this thread turn into The Price of Baked Beans?

When you have a multipy convicted violent fraudster given a place in public discourse about race and immigration or being soft peddled on a forum, you have a problem, knowwarramean? Think you do.
Not sure I do.
The mention of TR, puts a perspective out there, no question, but, I like to see both sides of an argument.
For my sins, I've read Thatchers autobiography, but cant stand the woman, so rather than base my opinions on persevered facts. I try and find out myself, how someone ticks

advertisement

Back