advertisement

What do i need to set up home server

ian r

401's Nakman
Its a left over macpro G5 with sata drive cards lots of ram etc. Its there to use all the firwire 400 kit and laser printer, But need to clear out kit

I guess I need apple server software to suck up all our data into one place for Android tablets and applesmart phones and ye Gods desktops -

Im doing this to draw all data into one place and have that backed at least once.

My brother says its a macmini I need for this but I htink we have got to the point where we should get our own server sorted at least in the house especially given this crappy satellite connection

or Linux

Any pointers welcomed.
Server Software evaluation
reports compiled
etc

Why not a simple NAS? I use a QNAP, but Synology are also good (& HP have a pretty cheap solution currently, but no idea what it's like). Set it and forget it if you like, or mess around with it's Linux distro to provide additional services.

Mine provides data storage and video streaming services throughout the house.

I only run a single disk solution currently, and use a USB attached HD for backups, but a dual disk one with resilient RAID would provide more security (you would only need backups then for offsite storage security if required).

If I was buying one today I'd go for something like the ts-219p ii and a couple of 2TB SATA disks. If you don't need all the latest functionality, buy an older second hand model at reduced price.

Richard

+1 for the QNAP

I have a 2x 3TB TS210 at home and use it for streaming music & videos, photos, web server, iSCSI drive for my desktop and IP security cam recording.

Get a nas, the G5 is older than time itself and uses a lot more electric.

If you are insistent on using the mac, then you don't need osx server, infact it will hinder you. just turn on its sharing in system prefs for other macs to see it on the network and turn on SMB sharing for other pcs to see it.

Not sure what you expect an android tablet to do with it to be honest.

advertisement

Back