advertisement

What do electrical engineers know that many audiophiles do not?

You buy hifi to play music. If Ragaman thinks his sound is awesome, then it is. It is his ears and his emotions that are being pleased and that's it, he has the system needed to satisfy his needs - job done.

Worrying about soundstage, sweet spots or whatever is demonstrating that the system owns you rather than the other way round.

If Ragaman, or anyone else, thinks his portable radio outperforms his stereo, in any respect, then the stereo is broken or seriously deficient.

You buy hifi to play music. If Ragaman thinks his sound is awesome, then it is. It is his ears and his emotions that are being pleased and that's it, he has the system needed to satisfy his needs - job done.

Worrying about soundstage, sweet spots or whatever is demonstrating that the system owns you rather than the other way round.
Actually I make a lot of mine, but even buying it isn't just about playing music for many, or even most. And I have no problem with him thinking his sounds awesome, just with him trying to tell everyone else how it should be.

Being a bit flippant, as I think there are a lot of audiophile electronic engineers, and audiophiles with a decent amount of electronics experience, out there:

* Audiophiles don't understand why something sounds different, but appreciate that it does.
* Electronic engineers understand why something should sound the same, but can't appreciate that it doesn't.

Like to stir the pot don't you! It does seem that there are a lot of rather bogus claims by audiophiles when they try to explain why the difference is being heard. Which is not to say that all the explanations are wrong. If we associate to the wrong cause with vapour theories, we'll only appear to progress. But sometimes all one cares about is whether it sounds better and is satisfying, and should stop trying to say why. ...And some EE's limit their thinking to what they learned in school, which usually had little to do with sound reproduction, and have not gone on from there, while others have recognised more aspects at play and have judiciously widened their operating theories of factors at play. A scientist say this is hat we believe we know and when experimental result patterns do not fit what was expected, they start searching for problems in their test and if they can't find it, eventually start to consider additional theory to fit the pattern. See Thomas Kuhn.

Being a bit flippant, as I think there are a lot of audiophile electronic engineers, and audiophiles with a decent amount of electronics experience, out there:
diyAudio is a good place to see that in action. I spend time there (learning, not teaching, obvs!), and some of the engineers are world class.

advertisement

Back