advertisement

What did 78rpm records sound like when they were new

As I recall, some (Decca?) LPs have a 'groove' in the label at a diameter which corresponds to the diameter of a 78 r.p.m label. This is I believe he result of old 10" 78 stampers being recut to 12" for making LPs.

That sounds about right, I remember talking to my Dad about it at the time and being surprised that they were still available even then. He remembered the situation at EMI in the very early fifties when the board decided that LPs were a temporary fad and they would just carry on producing 78s. A year later they had a largely new board and a crash programme to produce LPs, He had a number of the earliest EMI LP test pressings from around 1951, now mine.

This https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E6KE4P2/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 cover picture shows an acoustic recording horn, balance achieved by carefully positioning players closer or further away from the horn.
Yikes, someone could easily have lost an eye in the strings section there...

91Vl8GZ2kiL._SS500_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
78s can sound very good and have a much greater presence than an LP if they're played properly -- appropriate needle sizes, EQ, a good mono speaker, etc. There is a group that meets on Zoom on Monday nights that just focuses on jazz 78s. It's a great way to learn about playback and the music: www.hotclubny.com

As a massive jazz fan (thinking especially of all those Duke Ellington 78s!) this thread has whetted my appetite even more for a 78 RPM-capable turntable.

How important is the ability to fine-tune speed as with, say, Garrard 301/401 or, currently, Technics 1200G?

How important is the ability to fine-tune speed as with, say, Garrard 301/401 or, currently, Technics 1200G?

Not essential but maybe also worth considering some form of EQ as they won't have been recorded using a standard RIAA curve.

Graham Slee produce a (slightly pricey) photo stage with some EQ switches: https://www.analogueseduction.net/phono-stages-phono-boards/graham-slee-jazz-club-phono-stage.html

Though Joe Bussard uses a standard graphic EQ which probably gives more flexibility.

P.S. If you don't have a 301 to hand lots of DJ direct drive decks have a 78 speed setting.

It was my need for three speeds which made me buy a 301 back in the 90s before the prices went crazy. I don't have perfect pitch so my main use for the fine speed is for occasional playing of 80 RPM discs. Variable EQ is icing on the cake, but having rebuilt an original Quad mono preamp then finding my then Audiolab sounded better I haven't worried too much. In practice the RIAA gives you some treble roll off to reduce scratch and a bit of bass boost.

I don't mess with the speed too much, but have friends who keep spreadsheets for proper speeds and needle sizes per record ha.

Re: EQs. I can't recommend the Rek-O-Kut EQs too highly. They tend to produce really harsh highs. Which, while it can give you some clarity, also makes a less than E 78 sometimes a bit shrill.

advertisement

Back