advertisement

What DACs are folk using with Exposure amplification ?

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Hi
A little bored and thinking what my dream / end game (second hand, many years from now) stereo system would be. And so wondering what DACs people use with exposure.

The system.

speakers - b&w 802 d4 in the new walnut finish. Heard them at a dealers and was very impressed. Also love the look and the level of engineering of the individual components.. if you have an interest check out this video from Pursuit Perfect System.

Amplification - Exposure 5010 mono blocks with MC phono cards in black. Currently have exposure 3010S2D with MM phono card and I absolutely love it, smooth & powerful and the phono card is excellent. Don’t really see any reason to buy anything more expensive or powerful than the exposure 5010, will drive a 1 ohm load and has 200 watts which is more than enough for the 90db b&w’s or indeed most speakers. Haven’t heard it but don’t see any reason it won’t be brilliant, and if so great value high end amplification. Check out measurements and review here:

https://www.hifinews.com/content/exposure-5010-premonos-prepower-amplifier

For phono duties I would keep my P6 which I have and like. Currently have an exact cart but would change to a MC. Not sure which one but would have fun with the demos. Minimum I imagine though would be Ania Pro.

now re streamer / dac this is where I am less certain. I currently have a rega dac r which works really well with my amp and speakers (harbeth SHL5+). However for the level of system I’d like and given streaming is my main source, I’m thinking would need something a few levels up, like the chord Dave plus streamer (maybe keep my raspberry pi4) or maybe a DCS Bartok which is supposedly a great dac but has a streamer and roon built in.

so this is my question really what DACs are folk currently using with exposure amplification?

any comments on proposed system? Perhaps you have heard it?

thanks

Not high end but a Bluesound Node 2i works ok with my Chord Qutest through 3010Sd2 pre/monos. I’m getting more used to the Qutest. Depends on how sensitive your ears are to notice differences. I for one usually hear only small differences if any, even in A-B comparisons.

The 3010s2 CD player is very good and I'd imagine the separate DAC is as well (currently have the card, as it happens, but haven't compared to the CDP yet). I know you're after something a bit more ambitious but you might not need to look past Exposure.

Edit: actually I don't think there *is* a separate DAC.

I’ve had good experiences using a Theta DS Pro Progeny DAC “Version A” with my Exposure gear. This one really did make a big impact when I first switched my Beresford DAC for the Theta when I was using an Exposure 2010S integrated.

Huge (when the music demands it), enveloping, non-fatiguing sound with some of the best bass I’ve heard from digital. Simpler build too than a Gen V for example, so more reliable.

I now have it in storage with an Exposure III/IV combo and Royd Sorcerers waiting for the loft - if it ever does get converted…

The 3010s2 CD player is very good and I'd imagine the separate DAC is as well (currently have the card, as it happens, but haven't compared to the CDP yet). I know you're after something a bit more ambitious but you might not need to look past Exposure.

Edit: actually I don't think there *is* a separate DAC.
They stopped making the 2010S2 DAC a couple of years ago, but it is/was at least as good as the 3010S2 CD player output. Great on USB, I use mine with 3010 pre and monos. There have been a few secondhand at prices that are far too low for the sound. A current alternative would be the XM HP headphone amp/DAC which should have a similar sound.

advertisement

Back