advertisement

What crap are you listening to right now? #1

Fraction - Moonblood.

It could be a nice album without the singer who's singing style is totally crappy.

'Giant Step' by Taj Mahal. Every now and then I give this another go, and every time I give up on it after a few tracks. It has one great original song ('Six Days On The Road'), one passable cover ('Stagger Lee') and a whole load of meh.

I have a cheapo compilation with similar stuff on it. 'Statesboro Blues' will always be a favourite, as it is sort of the ultimate and tightest expression of that whole 'slide thang', Six Days is OK.. much of the rest is tedious.

On reflection..this is pretty damned fine..

Mull

Last edited by a moderator:
Look I like Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep by Middle of the road :)

Nobody should have a perfect album rack. I love experimenting. I quite liked Alan Price (greatest) for a couple of cheesy plays but have just realised its crap :)

Bruce Springsteen..... Crap...Abba....Crap.... Dire Straits....Crap...ELO.... Mostly Crap......Blondie....Mostly Crap....Alan Parsons Project...Total Crap.. Judie Tzuke... CRAP!..who have I upset now :)

Oh bad compilations on vinyl with "something for everyone"....crap! Pointless sitting through the dross waiting for the best tracks

Ive just had a good vinyl clear out

My name is Mullardman and I am a popoholic. There.. I've said it.

What a huge relief this thread is!! Finally I can come out!

I have some 'approved' tastes, such as interminable 50s jazz, even more interminable classical and assorted recent female singer/songwriters who make 'cool', but largely unintelligible sounds.

But by far my most regular consumption is pop, or near pop. And hardly any of it later than 1970. I justify it on grounds of 'research'. I'm looking into 1950s Doo Wop, the true roots of Motown, UK covers of far more worthy US originals and the sociological imperative which drove the Merseybeat boom.

Or at least the above is my Public Facing patheticness.

The hidden reality is far more shocking.

I know a bloke who claims to be related to the bloke who wrote 'Chirpy, Chirpy Cheep Cheep' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lally_Stott

A quick scan of my LP rack tonight threw up (literally) 'The Billy Fury Hit Parade', 'The Best of Johhny Ray', 'Memories are Made of This' and many more disgusting titles.

It feels good to unburden myself, though I realise I can never show my metaphorical face on PFM again.

So, out in a blaze of tackiness..

[YOUTUBE]qfbKhmHBl-I[/YOUTUBE]

Mull

DooWop - Music I Grew Up With, Mullardman. Have you seen American Graffiti?
I've got a couple of doo-wop cds, and had an opportunity to look through my elderly MILs collection last night. Ah, nostalgia, where is it now? And all those CDs on sale in Factory Outlets around the country to browse, too!

should be what crap arent you listening to? or maybe I need to start a new thread also for that?

Perry Como and Michael Jackson cant stand either esp Jackson whose vocal style gives me the creeps and makes me want to throw up. glad he not making any more of his crap, the world a better off place.

I don't listen to crap because I do not buy it in the first place - why would you?

Well, you might buy something you like the sound of on the radio or (these days) Spotify, only to find after a few listens that it's not that good. Or, a frequent mistake of mine, buy an album on the strength of a great track, only to find it's the only good track on the album. Or, you might buy the follow-up to a great debut album, only to find the band/artist said everything they had worth saying on that debut album. Or, you might just have outgrown whatever youthful taste you had and now find the music naff or twee or banal.

'The person who never made a mistake never made anything', as the saying goes, though personally I've managed to combine making loads of mistakes with not making anything else.

My only other comment would be that some people call music they don't, or no longer like, as "crap" rather than say it is not what they want to listen to.

Well, you might buy something you like the sound of on the radio or (these days) Spotify, only to find after a few listens that it's not that good. Or, a frequent mistake of mine, buy an album on the strength of a great track, only to find it's the only good track on the album. Or, you might buy the follow-up to a great debut album, only to find the band/artist said everything they had worth saying on that debut album. Or, you might just have outgrown whatever youthful taste you had and now find the music naff or twee or banal.

'The person who never made a mistake never made anything', as the saying goes, though personally I've managed to combine making loads of mistakes with not making anything else.
I think this is the heart of the matter, certainly in my vinyl collection. It mostly dates from a time when there was no Spotify et al., so your only taster of what was on the album were the singles played on the radio. On quite a few of my albums it seems the singles were self-selecting!

I've never gotten along with Bruce Springsteen... not musically interesting enough for my tastes. I just setup my turntable, though, and have a few of his LPs. Upon spinning them all, I'll admit that I'm liking the flip side of Asbury Park. The rest of it still doesn't pass muster.

and me too. The wife digs Springsteen but I dislike his voice. I have tried but it rubs on me.

The other category is the 'return to form' trap. A favoured artist/band, after a run of great albums, releases a stinker. Then another. Then another. You give up on them, until a favourable review, by a reviewer you trust, pronounces their latest 'a return to form', tempting you to buy it. You give in and buy it, only to find that, yes, it's another stinker.

We have similar talents Joe, especially in purchasing that little known format, the 'AlbumSingle'.

I revel in 'PopNaffness', but only if it was Naff before 1970, when the distinction between 'Naff' and just 'shite' still existed.

Example. Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep, was gloriously Naff. whereas Elvis' execrable version of 'The Wonder of You', was just shite.

Mull

The other category is the 'return to form' trap. A favoured artist/band, after a run of great albums, releases a stinker. Then another. Then another. You give up on them, until a favourable review, by a reviewer you trust, pronounces their latest 'a return to form', tempting you to buy it. You give in and buy it, only to find that, yes, it's another stinker.

This also works in reverse. As an (obvious) example, many Bowie albums the critics hate, I like a lot, even before he died.

'Giant Step' by Taj Mahal. Every now and then I give this another go, and every time I give up on it after a few tracks. It has one great original song ('Six Days On The Road'), one passable cover ('Stagger Lee') and a whole load of meh.

I bought Giant Step in those days because of the great version of Six Days on the Road. This song is definitely in a different league the the other stuff on the double album. But crap? Well, I admit that I have not listened much to the acoustic part of the album. But I do like the 'electric' sides.

BTW Six Days on the Road is a cover, too. The original is by country singer Dave Dudley.

I have a cheapo compilation with similar stuff on it. 'Statesboro Blues' will always be a favourite, as it is sort of the ultimate and tightest expression of that whole 'slide thang', Six Days is OK.. much of the rest is tedious.

I am really surprised to find Taj Mahal in a musical crap thread. Well, one man's crap...

Statesboro Blues and Six Days are my favourite Taj Mahal tunes. He rarely reached that kind of intensity in his other stuff. I found out that Allman Brothers' excellent version of Statesboro blues was based on Taj Mahal's Version. They did not even know Blind Willie McTell's original.

As great as TM's Statesboro Blues is, you will find 'the ultimate and tightest expression of that whole slide thang' listening to Elmore James.

Last night I found myself enjoying Whistling Jack Smith's 'I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman'. Can't get it out of my head today.

Utter crap......but fantastic utter crap it has to be said.

I found and bought an original copy of the Au Pairs' "Different Sex" LP from 1981 online. Got it. It's terrible. Not a patch on their contemporaries the Delta 5, let alone the Gang of Four...

i listened to the second propaganda album a couple of days ago, i remembered it had one good track on it (ministry of fear). what i hadn't recalled was how shite the rest of it was, i was embarrassed listening to it in front of the cat.

advertisement

Back