advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Dry Cleaning (preceded by BDRMM and Yard Act) at Yes Manchester as part of Manchester Psych Fest.

Happy to have seen Dry Cleaning as know I'll miss their tour next year but Yes was unpleasantly crammed and the sound system was very poor even by the standards of small venues. Rendered most of Florence's vocals unintelligible.

My next is Snapped Ankles in October. Should be Gogo Penguin a week later but that's another that's just moved to next year...

Yesterday we went to Down At The Abbey festival at the abbey ruins* in the centre of Reading.
Lovely site, nicely run, and some excellent music on offer. We really enjoyed LoneLady, The Utopia Strong, Snapped Ankles, and Flamingods (who were new to me, but I shall definitely be checking out their back catalogue).
And all half an hour away on public transport - additional win there.
The same promoters are putting on a day long bash at 21 South Street arts centre in Reading with Jane Weaver headlining at the end of October, which we've also got tickets for.

*which, despite living round this area for a large chunk of my life, I had no idea were there.

Yesterday we went to Down At The Abbey festival at the abbey ruins* in the centre of Reading.
Lovely site, nicely run, and some excellent music on offer. We really enjoyed LoneLady, The Utopia Strong, Snapped Ankles, and Flamingods (who were new to me, but I shall definitely be checking out their back catalogue).
And all half an hour away on public transport - additional win there.
The same promoters are putting on a day long bash at 21 South Street arts centre in Reading with Jane Weaver headlining at the end of October, which we've also got tickets for.

*which, despite living round this area for a large chunk of my life, I had no idea were there.

I saw Jane a couple of years ago and she was very good in concert, her band are really excellent. I want to see Lonelady at some point but I think I have missed the tickets for this tour.

I saw Jane a couple of years ago and she was very good in concert, her band are really excellent. I want to see Lonelady at some point but I think I have missed the tickets for this tour.

We saw Jane Weaver in Brighton about three years back, and she was excellent; so really looking forward to catching her again.
We've got tickets to see LoneLady in Southampton at the end of January, and she's doing some other dates around then too.

We saw Jane Weaver in Brighton about three years back, and she was excellent; so really looking forward to catching her again.
We've got tickets to see LoneLady in Southampton at the end of January, and she's doing some other dates around then too.
I could go to see Lonelady tonight in Bristol, but I'm still not sure about being in relatively enclosed space currently :(

I could go to see Lonelady tonight in Bristol, but I'm still not sure about being in relatively enclosed space currently :(

Mrs BB and I were a bit worried about attending the Hawley gig but we figured as we'd both been double jabbed and have no underlying conditions it was worth the risk. TBH if the crowds mainly other middle aged people then there's not a lot of moving about once your there either. I'd think twice if I knew there was going to loads of moshing and young people around.

Cheers BB

Mrs BB and I were a bit worried about attending the Hawley gig but we figured as we'd both been double jabbed and have no underlying conditions it was worth the risk. TBH if the crowds mainly other middle aged people then there's not a lot of moving about once your there either. I'd think twice if I knew there was going to loads of moshing and young people around.

Cheers BB
And that’s my concern, I don’t know the venue in Bristol. It’s called The Exchange and looks like an arts centre type of place. I will probably pass for now, but I’m also looking at tickets for A Certain Ratio at the same venue later in the year and wonder if this would be a good opportunity to check it out. Damn COVID..

And that’s my concern, I don’t know the venue in Bristol. It’s called The Exchange and looks like an arts centre type of place. I will probably pass for now, but I’m also looking at tickets for A Certain Ratio at the same venue later in the year and wonder if this would be a good opportunity to check it out. Damn COVID..

A mate went to see her in Brighton last night, and said it was largely a 40 plus audience, if that sways you in any way.

A mate went to see her in Brighton last night, and said it was largely a 40 plus audience, if that sways you in any way.

I have seen a couple of pictures from the gig, not too packed, but I'm going to be safe for now as I have to look after my mum 2 or 3 times a week and she would not survive a bout of CV19

I went to see John Grant in Sheffield yesterday, really great concert & played an excellent set. Another friend of mine went & walked out before the end, thought it was boring! It was a very representative sample of his music so I am not sure what he was expecting.

Teddy Thompson was the support, not as good as his dad would be something of an understatement. Has a lot to live up to I suppose.

The Libertines, Thursday 16th at Rochester Castle. As good as I could have hoped for, and the boys shave lost very little from when I saw them back in 2003/2003.

Faye Webster @ Higher Ground in Burlington, Vermont on Friday 17 September. Nice venue, around 400 people, proof of vaccination necessary.

Great show - she wisely assembled a killer band. Strange yet exhilarating to be see live music again. Danger Incorporated opened (meh).

Genesis at the Utilita Arena in Birmingham last night. Visually spectacular, musically on the ball, but vocally challenging. He's not a well man...

advertisement

Back