advertisement

What component have you heard and straight away thought 'way' and still use to-day

Tannoy D700s: First heard in 1992, bought in 1995 and still in pride of place 18 years on...

Other candidates? Both acquired in 2004 and still going strong - Classe' CP-500 pre-amp and Jeff Rowland Model 201 monoblock amps

ProAc Super Tablettes - somewhat limited in dynamic terms and no real bass extension but I've owned them since 1992. On vocals and woodwind instruments I haven't heard anything to better them in my room.

The first serious system I listened to (not mine), and got hooked onto hifi, was based on the Pioneer C21/M22 amplifiers. That was way back in the late 1970s.

I've had a succession of amplifiers since.

But today, my recently restored C21/M22 still makes me smile like no amplifier has done before. I prefer them greatly over my Densen B-250/B-350 and the Naim NAC52/NAP135s I had before.

The first cut is always the deepest.

Bryston amps, as soon as the first bit of Air came on at testing i knew i had something special.
PMC speakers match well.

Until i had this setup i really thought my hearing was going, previous was MA / NAD.

Roksan Shiraz (since 1989)

Keeps me listening, although at the moment I'm pining as it's gone to Germany for a service; will have to make do with CD for a few weeks.

mat

I bought my first Berning amplifier around eight years ago now.

Despite a brief flirtation with ATC in the interests of convenience, I still run Bernings, now having moved to the ZH230.

I've yet to find an amplifier package that compares, although the TOTR TEAD's monos ran it close.

The only concern these days is limited power but quality wise, I'd still say Geez!

REGA ISIS valve cdp married up to a REGA OSIRIS integrated amp = an instant upgade-itis attack (sigh)

advertisement

Back