advertisement

What cartridge on Jelco SA-250ST ?

LiBro

Hi,
I found an Ariston RD11S with this Jelco arm but no cartridge and cause there is not much money left I
would like to know if you have any ideas of what to put on (not expensive but very good) this arm ?

Jelco SA-250ST
Type: static balance straight pipe type
Holding mechanism: one point cross suspension type
Effective length: 228mm
Overhang: 18mm
Mounting distance: 210mm
Mounting hole: 30mm
Bearing friction: 20mg
Suitable cartridge weight: 4 to 12g
Range of height adjustment: 39 to 60mm

@JimmyB Yeah, won the RD11s from Glasgow finally.
Yes, a second hand with at least a good condition stylus could be fine. I mean for the vm95e price or less.

@Beobloke thanks for the good tip

Goldring 1012, 1022, 1042 all work well on this arm.

Yeah, nice cartridges but the Goldring new is quite a lot of money, they have the Goldring 'E' series starting at £59 though for a spherical stylus and £99 with an elliptical.

Next you'll maybe want to add a Linn Valhalla to the RD11s or one of these from DUYAudio: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/349742-turntable-tachometer-motor-speed-controller.html
The DIYAudio design is nice and adds great use-ability but may not be available at the moment unless someone can sell you an unused one.

I know the Goldring 1012, etc but not he E series.
Are they much better than the vm95e, I mean Goldring E1 vs ATvm95e ?

I have in mind the Valhalla or DIy set for later, for sure.

Personally I'd go for the AT....I'm sure the Goldring is good but the AT was always a starter cartridge for many an LP12 and is a solid performer.

Both have an upgrade path through the stylus upgrades so you'll not be left high and dry.

@daytona600 that's good to hear because the MP110 is one I wanted for long time but didn't know if it matched with the jelco. Maybe a used one because new it's a bit too expensive for now.

In any case, I'm happy to see that I still have a good choice to equip this arm and it's a pleasure.

According to many opinions, I think I'll get the VM95E (low price and sound nice) for a moment and we'll see later for an upgrade stylus or all cart.

Thank you all for time and advices.

The Goldring E3 is an AT 95e by another name (and styli fit!). Would recommend an VM95 body and stylus of your choice (or your bank manager's choice!) which can be changed at a later date. I have the conical (C), elliptical bonded (E) and the elliptical nude (EN), and all sound good for what they are (and expect). Another suggestion is an AT100 series body with a new stylus. I have the 100e, 120en,135e and the 510CB styli in various bodies, including the 100, 120, TK3Ea and 450 POCC, all sound good, although the latter is a metal body and weighs a bit more, so may not balance in your arm (which I have a variant of). The latest 500/700 range of AT styli fit the 100 series bodies, too. HTH

I wouldn't go too high in price for a cart, although the arm is a Jelco, it's pretty low down on their quality list, and really doesn't sit well with expensive carts. Although Linn sold that arm as the original Majic (for £500!) I bought mine a few years back for £33.

Last edited:
@Helen Bach very interesting choice, specially about At100 series. Could be a good combination other than the VM series.
Thanks.

Might be a bit 'hit and miss' with the older stock, but I have been happy with most of my purchases. As the older ranges of Audio Technica carts become available, the prices may be reasonable to start with, but become ridiculous later. But look around, there are still bargains out there (wherever that is!) ;)

I would still be cautious about putting a top notch cart on that arm, you may not get the best from them (the cart or the arm), and certainly not an MC.:(

BUT PLEASE NOTE:

There are two versions of the AT 100E, one is usually white and quite large. The other (newer version) has a black body and usually a red stylus assembly, although generic styli could be (and are/were any colour, avoid these, go for the OEM versions, only). I have only experience of the black body types, and would say they are a more refined version of the AT95E.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back